City in Maryland, United StatesFrederick, MarylandCity of FrederickBridge on Carroll CreekMotto( s): "The City of Clustered Spires" Area within the State of MarylandShow map of MarylandFrederick (the United States) Program map of the United StatesCoordinates: Coordinates: United States Founded1745Government MayorMichael O'Connor (D-MD) Board of AldermenKelly Russell (D-MD) Ben MacShane (D-MD) Derek Shackleford (D-MD) Donna Kuzemchak (D-MD) Roger Wilson (D-MD) Area City24.
28 km2) Land23. 95 sq mi (62. 02 km2) Water0. 10 sq mi (0. 26 km2) Elevation302 feet (92 m) Population City65,239 Quote 72,244 Density3,016. 95/sq mi (1,164. 84/km2) Urban141,576 (United States: 230th)UTC5 (EST) Summertime (DST)UTC4 (EDT) 21701-21709301, 24024-30325GNIS feature ID0584497I-70, I-270, United States 15, US 40, US 340, MD 80, MD 144, MD 355Site Frederick is a city in, and the county seat, of Frederick County, Maryland.
Frederick has actually long been an important crossroads, situated at the intersection of a significant northsouth Indian trail and eastwest routes to the Chesapeake Bay, both at Baltimore and what became Washington, D.C. and across the Appalachian mountains to the Ohio River watershed. It is a part of the Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV Metropolitan Statistical Location, which belongs to a greater Washington-Baltimore-Arlington, DC-MD-VA-WV-PA Combined Statistical Location.
Frederick is home to Frederick Municipal Airport (IATA: FDK), which accommodates general aviation, and to the county's biggest employer U.S. Army's Fort Detrick bioscience/communications research study setup. Found where Catoctin Mountain (the easternmost ridge of the Blue Ridge mountains) satisfies the rolling hills of the Piedmont region, the Frederick location ended up being a crossroads even before European explorers and traders showed up.
This became called the Monocacy Trail or perhaps the Great Indian Warpath, with some tourists continuing southward through the "Fantastic Appalachian Valley" (Shenandoah Valley, etc.) to the western Piedmont in North Carolina, or taking a trip down other watersheds in Virginia toward the Chesapeake Bay, such as those of the Rappahannock, James and York Rivers.
Founded before 1730, when the Indian trail ended up being a wagon roadway, Monocacy was deserted before the American Revolutionary War, perhaps due to the river's periodic flooding or hostilities predating the French and Indian War, or just Frederick's better location with easier access to the Potomac River near its confluence with the Monocacy.
Three years earlier, All Saints Church had actually been founded on a hilltop near a warehouse/trading post. Sources disagree regarding which Frederick the town was named for, however the likeliest candidates are Frederick Calvert, 6th Baron Baltimore (among the owners of Maryland), Frederick Louis, Prince of Wales, and Frederick "The Great" of Prussia.
Frederick Town (now Frederick) was made the county seat of Frederick County. The county originally extended to the Appalachian mountains (locations further west being contested in between the colonies of Virginia and Pennsylvania up until 1789). The present town's very first home was built by a young German Reformed schoolmaster from the Rhineland Palatinate named Johann Thomas Schley (died 1790), who led a party of immigrants (including his partner, Maria Von Winz) to the Maryland colony.
Schley's settlers likewise established a German Reformed Church (today called Evangelical Reformed Church, and part of the UCC). Probably the oldest house still standing in Frederick today is Schifferstadt, built in 1756 by German inhabitant Joseph Brunner and now the Schifferstadt Architectural Museum. Schley's group was among the numerous Pennsylvania Dutch (ethnic Germans) (along with Scots-Irish and French and later Irish) who migrated south and westward in the late-18th century.
Another crucial route continued along the Potomac River from near Frederick, to Hagerstown, where it divided. One branch crossed the Potomac River near Martinsburg, West Virginia and continued down into the Shenandoah valley. The other ongoing west to Cumberland, Maryland and eventually crossed the Appalachian Mountains into the watershed of the Ohio River.
Nevertheless, the British after the Proclamation of 1763 limited that westward migration path until after the American Revolutionary War. Other westward migrants continued south from Frederick to Roanoke along the Great Wagon Roadway, crossing the Appalachians into Kentucky and Tennessee at the Cumberland Space near the Virginia/North Carolina border. Other German inhabitants in Frederick were Evangelical Lutherans, led by Rev.
They moved their objective church from Monocacy to what became a large complex a couple of blocks even more down Church Street from the Anglicans and the German Reformed Church. Methodist missionary Robert Strawbridge accepted an invite to preach at Frederick town in 1770, and Francis Asbury got here two years later on, both helping to discovered a parish which ended up being Calvary Methodist Church, worshiping in a log building from 1792 (although superseded by bigger buildings in 1841, 1865, 1910 and 1930).
Jean DuBois was designated in 1792, which became St. John the Evangelist Church (constructed in 1800). To control this crossroads during the American Revolution, the British garrisoned a German Hessian regiment in the town; the war (the stone, L-shaped "Hessian Barracks" still stand). All Saints Church, erected 1813, Principal Parish Church till 1855As the county seat for Western Maryland, Frederick not just was an essential market town, but likewise the seat of justice.
Essential legal representatives who practiced in Frederick included John Hanson, Francis Scott Key and Roger B. Taney. Church Street with All Saints and Reformed Church spires, FrederickFrederick was likewise understood during the nineteenth century for its spiritual pluralism, with one of its main roads, Church Street, hosting about a half dozen significant churches.
That original colonial structure was replaced in 1814 by a brick classical revival structure. It still stands today, although the principal praise area has become an even larger brick gothic church joining it at the back and facing Frederick's Municipal government (so the parish remains the oldest Episcopal Church in western Maryland).
John the Evangelist, was integrated in 1800, then rebuilt in 1837 (across the street) one block north of Church Street on East Second Street, where it still stands together with a school and convent developed by the Visitation Siblings. The stone Evangelical Lutheran Church of 1752 was likewise rebuilt and bigger in 1825, then replaced by the present twin-spired structure in 1852.
It became an African-American congregation in 1864, relabelled Asbury Methodist Episcopal Church in 1870, and developed its current building on All Saints Street in 1921. Together, these churches dominated the town, set versus the backdrop of the first ridge of the Appalachians, Catoctin Mountain. The abolitionist poet John Greenleaf Whittier later celebrated this view of Frederick in his poem to Barbara Fritchie: "The clustered spires of Frederick stand/ Green-walled by the hills of Maryland." When U.S.
Louis (eventually constructed to Vandalia, then the state capital of Illinois), the "National Pike" ran through Frederick along Patrick Street. (This later on ended up being U.S. Path 40.) Frederick's Jacob Engelbrecht referred Jefferson in 1824 (receiving a transcribed psalm in return), and kept a diary from 1819-1878 which stays a crucial first-hand account of 19th century life from its viewpoint on the National Roadway.
Church Street by a regional doctor to prevent the city from extending Record Street south through his land to meet West Patrick Street. Frederick likewise turned into one of the new nation's leading mining counties in the early 19th century. It exported gold, copper, limestone, marble, iron and other minerals. As early as the American Revolution, Catoctin Heating system near Thurmont became crucial for iron production.
Frederick had simple access to the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal, which began operations in 1831 and continued hauling freight till 1924. Likewise in 1831, the Baltimore and Ohio Railway (B&O) completed its Frederick Branch line from the Frederick (or Monocacy) Junction off the main Western Line from Baltimore to Harpers Ferry, Cumberland, and the Ohio River.
Louis by the 1850s. Confederate soldiers marching south on North Market Street during the Civil War Frederick ended up being Maryland's capital city briefly in 1861, as the legislature moved from Annapolis to vote on the secession question. President Lincoln jailed a number of members, and the assembly was not able to convene a quorum to vote on secession.
Servants also gotten away from or through Frederick (considering that Maryland was still a "servant state" although an unseceded border state) to join the Union forces, work versus the Confederacy and seek liberty. Throughout the Maryland projects, both Union and Confederate troops marched through the city. Frederick likewise hosted a number of medical facilities to nurse the injured from those fights, as is associated in the National Museum of Civil War Medicine on East Patrick Street.
Union Major General Jesse L. Reno's IX Corps followed Jackson's males through the city a couple of days later the way to the Battle of South Mountain, where Reno passed away. The websites of the battles are due west of the city along the National Roadway, west of Burkittsville. Confederate soldiers under Jackson and Walker unsuccessfully attempted to halt the Federal army's westward advance into the Cumberland Valley and towards Sharpsburg.
The 1889 memorial honoring Major General Reno and the Union soldiers of his IX Corps is on Reno Monolith Road west of Middletown, simply listed below the top of Fox's Space, as is a 1993 memorial to killed Confederate Brig. Gen. Samuel Garland Jr., and the North Carolina soldiers who held the line.
George McClellan after the Battle of South Mountain and the Fight of Antietam, delivered a short speech at what was then the B. & O. Railway depot at the existing intersection of East All Saints and South Market Streets. A plaque commemorates the speech (at what is today the Frederick Neighborhood Action Firm, a Social Solutions office).
The Army of the Potomac camped around the Prospect Hall property for the numerous days as skirmishers pursued Lee's Confederate Army of Northern Virginia prior to Gettysburg. A large granite rectangle-shaped monument made from one of the stones at the "Devil's Den" in Gettysburg to the east along the driveway honors the midnight change-of-command.
27 million in 2019 dollars) from citizens for not razing the city on their method to Washington D.C. Union soldiers under Major General Lew Wallace fought a successful delaying action, in what ended up being the last considerable Confederate advance at the Fight of Monocacy, also understood as the "Battle that conserved Washington." The Monocacy National Battleground lies just southeast of the city limits, along the Monocacy River at the B.
Railroad junction where two bridges cross the stream - an iron-truss bridge for the railroad and a covered wooden bridge for the Frederick-Urbana-Georgetown Pike, which was the website of the primary battle of July 1864. Some skirmishing took place additional northeast of town at the stone-arched "Jug Bridge" where the National Road crossed the Monocacy; and a weapons barrage happened along the National Roadway west of town near Red Guy's Hill and Possibility Hall estate as the Union soldiers retreated eastward.
While Gettysburg National Battleground of 1863 lies around 35 miles (56 km) to the north-northeast. The reconstructed home of Barbara Fritchie stands on West Patrick Street, just past Carroll Creek direct park. Fritchie, a considerable figure in Maryland history in her own right, is buried in Frederick's Mount Olivet Cemetery.
Roosevelt when they stopped here in 1941 on a car journey to the presidential retreat, then called "Shangra-La" (now "Camp David") within the Catoctin Mountains near Thurmont. Admiral Winfield Scott Schley (18391911) was born at "Richfields", the mansion house of his father. He ended up being a crucial marine commander of the American fleet on board his flagship and heavy cruiser USS Baltimore in addition to Admiral William T.
Major Henry Schley's kid, Dr. Fairfax Schley, was crucial in establishing the Frederick County Agricultural Society and the Great Frederick Fair. Gilmer Schley served as Mayor from 1919 to 1922, and the Schleys remained one of the town's leading households into the late-20th century. Nathaniel Wilson Schley, a prominent banker, and his wife Mary Margaret Schley helped organize and raise funds for the yearly Fantastic Frederick Fair, among the two biggest agricultural fairs in the State.