City in Maryland, United StatesFrederick, MarylandCity of FrederickBridge on Carroll CreekMotto( s): "The City of Clustered Spires" Area within the State of MarylandShow map of MarylandFrederick (the United States) Program map of the United StatesCoordinates: Collaborates: United States Founded1745Government MayorMichael O'Connor (D-MD) Board of AldermenKelly Russell (D-MD) Ben MacShane (D-MD) Derek Shackleford (D-MD) Donna Kuzemchak (D-MD) Roger Wilson (D-MD) Area City24.
28 km2) Land23. 95 sq mi (62. 02 km2) Water0. 10 sq mi (0. 26 km2) Elevation302 feet (92 m) Population City65,239 Price quote 72,244 Density3,016. 95/sq mi (1,164. 84/km2) Urban141,576 (United States: 230th)UTC5 (EST) Summer (DST)UTC4 (EDT) 21701-21709301, 24024-30325GNIS function ID0584497I-70, I-270, United States 15, United States 40, US 340, MD 80, MD 144, MD 355Site Frederick is a city in, and the county seat, of Frederick County, Maryland.
Frederick has long been an essential crossroads, situated at the intersection of a significant northsouth Indian path and eastwest routes to the Chesapeake Bay, both at Baltimore and what became Washington, D.C. and throughout the Appalachian mountains to the Ohio River watershed. It is a part of the Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV Metropolitan Statistical Area, which belongs to a greater Washington-Baltimore-Arlington, DC-MD-VA-WV-PA Combined Statistical Area.
Frederick is home to Frederick Municipal Airport (IATA: FDK), which accommodates basic aviation, and to the county's largest employer U.S. Army's Fort Detrick bioscience/communications research study setup. Found where Catoctin Mountain (the easternmost ridge of the Blue Ridge mountains) satisfies the rolling hills of the Piedmont region, the Frederick location ended up being a crossroads even prior to European explorers and traders arrived.
This ended up being called the Monocacy Path and even the Great Indian Warpath, with some travelers continuing southward through the "Great Appalachian Valley" (Shenandoah Valley, etc.) to the western Piedmont in North Carolina, or traveling down other watersheds in Virginia toward the Chesapeake Bay, such as those of the Rappahannock, James and York Rivers.
Founded prior to 1730, when the Indian trail became a wagon roadway, Monocacy was abandoned before the American Revolutionary War, perhaps due to the river's regular flooding or hostilities predating the French and Indian War, or just Frederick's better location with easier access to the Potomac River near its confluence with the Monocacy.
3 years earlier, All Saints Church had actually been established on a hilltop near a warehouse/trading post. Sources disagree regarding which Frederick the town was named for, but the likeliest prospects are Frederick Calvert, 6th Baron Baltimore (one of the owners of Maryland), Frederick Louis, Prince of Wales, and Frederick "The Great" of Prussia.
Frederick Town (now Frederick) was made the county seat of Frederick County. The county originally extended to the Appalachian mountains (locations further west being contested between the nests of Virginia and Pennsylvania up until 1789). The existing town's first house was developed by a young German Reformed schoolmaster from the Rhineland Palatinate called Johann Thomas Schley (died 1790), who led a party of immigrants (including his other half, Maria Von Winz) to the Maryland nest.
Schley's inhabitants also established a German Reformed Church (today referred to as Evangelical Reformed Church, and part of the UCC). Probably the earliest home still standing in Frederick today is Schifferstadt, constructed in 1756 by German settler Joseph Brunner and now the Schifferstadt Architectural Museum. Schley's group was amongst the lots of Pennsylvania Dutch (ethnic Germans) (as well as Scots-Irish and French and later Irish) who moved south and westward in the late-18th century.
Another essential path continued along the Potomac River from near Frederick, to Hagerstown, where it divided. One branch crossed the Potomac River near Martinsburg, West Virginia and continued down into the Shenandoah valley. The other ongoing west to Cumberland, Maryland and eventually crossed the Appalachian Mountains into the watershed of the Ohio River.
Nevertheless, the British after the Pronouncement of 1763 limited that westward migration route till after the American Revolutionary War. Other westward migrants continued south from Frederick to Roanoke along the Great Wagon Roadway, crossing the Appalachians into Kentucky and Tennessee at the Cumberland Gap near the Virginia/North Carolina border. Other German settlers in Frederick were Evangelical Lutherans, led by Rev.
They moved their mission church from Monocacy to what became a large complex a few blocks further down Church Street from the Anglicans and the German Reformed Church. Methodist missionary Robert Strawbridge accepted an invitation to preach at Frederick town in 1770, and Francis Asbury showed up two years later on, both assisting to discovered a congregation which became Calvary Methodist Church, worshiping in a log structure from 1792 (although superseded by bigger structures in 1841, 1865, 1910 and 1930).
Jean DuBois was assigned in 1792, which became St. John the Evangelist Church (constructed in 1800). To control this crossroads throughout the American Revolution, the British garrisoned a German Hessian routine in the town; the war (the stone, L-shaped "Hessian Barracks" still stand). All Saints Church, set up 1813, Principal Parish Church until 1855As the county seat for Western Maryland, Frederick not just was an important market town, however also the seat of justice.
Crucial lawyers who practiced in Frederick included John Hanson, Francis Scott Key and Roger B. Taney. Church Street with All Saints and Reformed Church spires, FrederickFrederick was likewise understood during the nineteenth century for its spiritual pluralism, with among its primary roads, Church Street, hosting about a half lots major churches.
That initial colonial building was replaced in 1814 by a brick classical revival structure. It still stands today, although the principal praise space has ended up being an even larger brick gothic church joining it at the back and facing Frederick's City Hall (so the parish stays the oldest Episcopal Church in western Maryland).
John the Evangelist, was developed in 1800, then rebuilt in 1837 (across the street) one block north of Church Street on East Second Street, where it still stands along with a school and convent developed by the Visitation Sisters. The stone Evangelical Lutheran Church of 1752 was likewise rebuilt and enlarged in 1825, then changed by the existing twin-spired structure in 1852.
It became an African-American congregation in 1864, renamed Asbury Methodist Episcopal Church in 1870, and developed its current structure on All Saints Street in 1921. Together, these churches dominated the town, set versus the backdrop of the very first ridge of the Appalachians, Catoctin Mountain. The abolitionist poet John Greenleaf Whittier later immortalized this view of Frederick in his poem to Barbara Fritchie: "The clustered spires of Frederick stand/ Green-walled by the hills of Maryland." When U.S.
Louis (ultimately developed to Vandalia, then the state capital of Illinois), the "National Pike" ran through Frederick along Patrick Street. (This later ended up being U.S. Route 40.) Frederick's Jacob Engelbrecht corresponded with Jefferson in 1824 (getting a transcribed psalm in return), and kept a diary from 1819-1878 which stays an important first-hand account of 19th century life from its perspective on the National Roadway.
Church Street by a regional medical professional to prevent the city from extending Record Street south through his land to satisfy West Patrick Street. Frederick also became one of the brand-new country's leading mining counties in the early 19th century. It exported gold, copper, limestone, marble, iron and other minerals. As early as the American Transformation, Catoctin Furnace near Thurmont ended up being important for iron production.
Frederick had easy access to the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal, which began operations in 1831 and continued transporting freight till 1924. Also in 1831, the Baltimore and Ohio Railway (B&O) completed its Frederick Branch line from the Frederick (or Monocacy) Junction off the primary Western Line from Baltimore to Harpers Ferryboat, Cumberland, and the Ohio River.
Louis by the 1850s. Confederate troops marching south on North Market Street throughout the Civil War Frederick became Maryland's capital city briefly in 1861, as the legislature moved from Annapolis to vote on the secession concern. President Lincoln apprehended a number of members, and the assembly was not able to assemble a quorum to vote on secession.
Servants also gotten away from or through Frederick (since Maryland was still a "slave state" although an unseceded border state) to join the Union forces, work versus the Confederacy and seek freedom. Throughout the Maryland campaigns, both Union and Confederate soldiers marched through the city. Frederick also hosted numerous hospitals to nurse the wounded from those fights, as belongs in the National Museum of Civil War Medicine on East Patrick Street.
Union Major General Jesse L. Reno's IX Corps followed Jackson's men through the city a few days in the future the method to the Battle of South Mountain, where Reno died. The sites of the battles are due west of the city along the National Roadway, west of Burkittsville. Confederate soldiers under Jackson and Walker unsuccessfully tried to stop the Federal army's westward advance into the Cumberland Valley and towards Sharpsburg.
The 1889 memorial commemorating Major General Reno and the Union soldiers of his IX Corps is on Reno Monolith Road west of Middletown, just listed below the summit of Fox's Space, as is a 1993 memorial to slain Confederate Brig. Gen. Samuel Garland Jr., and the North Carolina troops who held the line.
George McClellan after the Battle of South Mountain and the Fight of Antietam, delivered a short speech at what was then the B. & O. Railroad depot at the present crossway of East All Saints and South Market Streets. A plaque commemorates the speech (at what is today the Frederick Community Action Agency, a Social Solutions workplace).
The Army of the Potomac camped around the Prospect Hall residential or commercial property for the numerous days as skirmishers pursued Lee's Confederate Army of Northern Virginia prior to Gettysburg. A large granite rectangular monument made from among the boulders at the "Devil's Den" in Gettysburg to the east along the driveway celebrates the midnight change-of-command.
27 million in 2019 dollars) from residents for not razing the city on their way to Washington D.C. Union troops under Major General Lew Wallace combated an effective delaying action, in what ended up being the last substantial Confederate advance at the Battle of Monocacy, likewise understood as the "Battle that saved Washington." The Monocacy National Battleground lies simply southeast of the city limits, along the Monocacy River at the B.
Railway junction where 2 bridges cross the stream - an iron-truss bridge for the railroad and a covered wood bridge for the Frederick-Urbana-Georgetown Pike, which was the website of the main fight of July 1864. Some skirmishing took place more northeast of town at the stone-arched "Jug Bridge" where the National Road crossed the Monocacy; and a weapons barrage happened along the National Roadway west of town near Red Guy's Hill and Possibility Hall mansion as the Union troops retreated eastward.
While Gettysburg National Battlefield of 1863 lies roughly 35 miles (56 km) to the north-northeast. The rebuilded house of Barbara Fritchie stands on West Patrick Street, simply previous Carroll Creek direct park. Fritchie, a considerable figure in Maryland history in her own right, is buried in Frederick's Mount Olivet Cemetery.
Roosevelt when they stopped here in 1941 on a cars and truck trip to the governmental retreat, then called "Shangra-La" (now "Camp David") within the Catoctin Mountains near Thurmont. Admiral Winfield Scott Schley (18391911) was born at "Richfields", the mansion home of his daddy. He ended up being an essential naval leader of the American fleet on board his flagship and heavy cruiser USS Baltimore in addition to Admiral William T.
Major Henry Schley's son, Dr. Fairfax Schley, was crucial in setting up the Frederick County Agricultural Society and the Great Frederick Fair. Gilmer Schley served as Mayor from 1919 to 1922, and the Schleys stayed among the town's leading families into the late-20th century. Nathaniel Wilson Schley, a prominent banker, and his other half Mary Margaret Schley helped arrange and raise funds for the yearly Fantastic Frederick Fair, among the 2 biggest agricultural fairs in the State.