City in Maryland, United StatesFrederick, MarylandCity of FrederickBridge on Carroll CreekMotto( s): "The City of Clustered Spires" Location within the State of MarylandShow map of MarylandFrederick (the United States) Show map of the United StatesCoordinates: Coordinates: United States Founded1745Government MayorMichael O'Connor (D-MD) Board of AldermenKelly Russell (D-MD) Ben MacShane (D-MD) Derek Shackleford (D-MD) Donna Kuzemchak (D-MD) Roger Wilson (D-MD) Area City24.
28 km2) Land23. 95 sq mi (62. 02 km2) Water0. 10 sq mi (0. 26 km2) Elevation302 feet (92 m) Population City65,239 Estimate 72,244 Density3,016. 95/sq mi (1,164. 84/km2) Urban141,576 (US: 230th)UTC5 (EST) Summer (DST)UTC4 (EDT) 21701-21709301, 24024-30325GNIS function ID0584497I-70, I-270, United States 15, US 40, US 340, MD 80, MD 144, MD 355Website Frederick is a city in, and the county seat, of Frederick County, Maryland.
Frederick has actually long been an important crossroads, situated at the crossway of a major northsouth Indian trail and eastwest routes to the Chesapeake Bay, both at Baltimore and what became Washington, D.C. and throughout the Appalachian mountains to the Ohio River watershed. It belongs of the Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV Metropolitan Statistical Location, which belongs to a greater Washington-Baltimore-Arlington, DC-MD-VA-WV-PA Combined Statistical Area.
Frederick is home to Frederick Municipal Airport (IATA: FDK), which accommodates general air travel, and to the county's biggest employer U.S. Army's Fort Detrick bioscience/communications research setup. Located where Catoctin Mountain (the easternmost ridge of the Blue Ridge mountains) fulfills the rolling hills of the Piedmont region, the Frederick area became a crossroads even prior to European explorers and traders arrived.
This became called the Monocacy Trail or even the Great Indian Warpath, with some tourists continuing southward through the "Terrific Appalachian Valley" (Shenandoah Valley, and so on) to the western Piedmont in North Carolina, or traveling down other watersheds in Virginia towards the Chesapeake Bay, such as those of the Rappahannock, James and York Rivers.
Established prior to 1730, when the Indian path ended up being a wagon road, Monocacy was deserted prior to the American Revolutionary War, possibly due to the river's routine flooding or hostilities predating the French and Indian War, or just Frederick's much better area with simpler access to the Potomac River near its confluence with the Monocacy.
Three years previously, All Saints Church had been founded on a hill near a warehouse/trading post. Sources disagree as to which Frederick the town was called for, but the likeliest prospects are Frederick Calvert, 6th Baron Baltimore (among the owners of Maryland), Frederick Louis, Prince of Wales, and Frederick "The Great" of Prussia.
Frederick Town (now Frederick) was made the county seat of Frederick County. The county initially extended to the Appalachian mountains (locations more west being challenged in between the nests of Virginia and Pennsylvania up until 1789). The current town's first home was developed by a young German Reformed schoolmaster from the Rhineland Palatinate called Johann Thomas Schley (passed away 1790), who led a party of immigrants (including his spouse, Maria Von Winz) to the Maryland nest.
Schley's inhabitants also established a German Reformed Church (today referred to as Evangelical Reformed Church, and part of the UCC). Probably the earliest home still standing in Frederick today is Schifferstadt, integrated in 1756 by German settler Joseph Brunner and now the Schifferstadt Architectural Museum. Schley's group was among the many Pennsylvania Dutch (ethnic Germans) (as well as Scots-Irish and French and later Irish) who migrated south and westward in the late-18th century.
Another essential path continued along the Potomac River from near Frederick, to Hagerstown, where it divided. One branch crossed the Potomac River near Martinsburg, West Virginia and continued down into the Shenandoah valley. The other continued west to Cumberland, Maryland and eventually crossed the Appalachian Mountains into the watershed of the Ohio River.
Nevertheless, the British after the Pronouncement of 1763 limited that westward migration path till after the American Revolutionary War. Other westward migrants continued south from Frederick to Roanoke along the Great Wagon Road, crossing the Appalachians into Kentucky and Tennessee at the Cumberland Gap near the Virginia/North Carolina border. Other German settlers in Frederick were Evangelical Lutherans, led by Rev.
They moved their objective church from Monocacy to what ended up being a large complex a few blocks even more down Church Street from the Anglicans and the German Reformed Church. Methodist missionary Robert Strawbridge accepted an invitation to preach at Frederick town in 1770, and Francis Asbury arrived 2 years later, both helping to found a congregation which ended up being Calvary Methodist Church, worshiping in a log structure from 1792 (although superseded by bigger buildings in 1841, 1865, 1910 and 1930).
Jean DuBois was designated in 1792, which became St. John the Evangelist Church (constructed in 1800). To manage this crossroads during the American Transformation, the British garrisoned a German Hessian program in the town; the war (the stone, L-shaped "Hessian Barracks" still stand). All Saints Church, erected 1813, Principal Parish Church up until 1855As the county seat for Western Maryland, Frederick not just was an essential market town, but also the seat of justice.
Crucial lawyers who practiced in Frederick consisted of John Hanson, Francis Scott Secret and Roger B. Taney. Church Street with All Saints and Reformed Church spires, FrederickFrederick was likewise known throughout the 19th century for its spiritual pluralism, with among its primary roads, Church Street, hosting about a half dozen major churches.
That original colonial building was changed in 1814 by a brick classical revival structure. It still stands today, although the principal worship area has ended up being an even bigger brick gothic church joining it at the back and dealing with Frederick's Municipal government (so the parish remains the earliest Episcopal Church in western Maryland).
John the Evangelist, was built in 1800, then rebuilt in 1837 (throughout the street) one block north of Church Street on East Second Street, where it still stands along with a school and convent developed by the Visitation Siblings. The stone Evangelical Lutheran Church of 1752 was likewise rebuilt and enlarged in 1825, then replaced by the present twin-spired structure in 1852.
It ended up being an African-American parish in 1864, renamed Asbury Methodist Episcopal Church in 1870, and developed its present building on All Saints Street in 1921. Together, these churches controlled the town, set against the backdrop of the very first ridge of the Appalachians, Catoctin Mountain. The abolitionist poet John Greenleaf Whittier later on celebrated this view of Frederick in his poem to Barbara Fritchie: "The clustered spires of Frederick stand/ Green-walled by the hills of Maryland." When U.S.
Louis (eventually developed to Vandalia, then the state capital of Illinois), the "National Pike" went through Frederick along Patrick Street. (This later became U.S. Route 40.) Frederick's Jacob Engelbrecht referred Jefferson in 1824 (getting a transcribed psalm in return), and kept a journal from 1819-1878 which stays a crucial first-hand account of 19th century life from its perspective on the National Roadway.
Church Street by a regional medical professional to avoid the city from extending Record Street south through his land to meet West Patrick Street. Frederick also ended up being one of the new nation's leading mining counties in the early 19th century. It exported gold, copper, limestone, marble, iron and other minerals. As early as the American Transformation, Catoctin Heating system near Thurmont became important for iron production.
Frederick had simple access to the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal, which began operations in 1831 and continued carrying freight until 1924. Likewise in 1831, the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad (B&O) completed its Frederick Branch line from the Frederick (or Monocacy) Junction off the primary Western Line from Baltimore to Harpers Ferry, Cumberland, and the Ohio River.
Louis by the 1850s. Confederate soldiers marching south on North Market Street throughout the Civil War Frederick became Maryland's capital city briefly in 1861, as the legislature moved from Annapolis to vote on the secession question. President Lincoln arrested numerous members, and the assembly was not able to convene a quorum to vote on secession.
Servants likewise escaped from or through Frederick (given that Maryland was still a "servant state" although an unseceded border state) to sign up with the Union forces, work against the Confederacy and look for flexibility. Throughout the Maryland projects, both Union and Confederate soldiers marched through the city. Frederick likewise hosted a number of medical facilities to nurse the wounded from those battles, as is associated in the National Museum of Civil War Medicine on East Patrick Street.
Union Major General Jesse L. Reno's IX Corps followed Jackson's males through the city a few days later the method to the Battle of South Mountain, where Reno died. The sites of the battles are due west of the city along the National Road, west of Burkittsville. Confederate troops under Jackson and Walker unsuccessfully tried to halt the Federal army's westward advance into the Cumberland Valley and towards Sharpsburg.
The 1889 memorial commemorating Major General Reno and the Union soldiers of his IX Corps is on Reno Monolith Road west of Middletown, just below the top of Fox's Gap, as is a 1993 memorial to killed Confederate Brig. Gen. Samuel Garland Jr., and the North Carolina soldiers who held the line.
George McClellan after the Battle of South Mountain and the Fight of Antietam, delivered a brief speech at what was then the B. & O. Railway depot at the current crossway of East All Saints and South Market Streets. A plaque celebrates the speech (at what is today the Frederick Neighborhood Action Company, a Social Services office).
The Army of the Potomac camped around the Possibility Hall home for the numerous days as skirmishers pursued Lee's Confederate Army of Northern Virginia prior to Gettysburg. A big granite rectangle-shaped monolith made from one of the stones at the "Devil's Den" in Gettysburg to the east along the driveway honors the midnight change-of-command.
27 million in 2019 dollars) from people for not razing the city on their way to Washington D.C. Union soldiers under Major General Lew Wallace combated an effective delaying action, in what became the last substantial Confederate advance at the Battle of Monocacy, likewise understood as the "Battle that saved Washington." The Monocacy National Battlefield lies simply southeast of the city limitations, along the Monocacy River at the B.
Railroad junction where two bridges cross the stream - an iron-truss bridge for the railway and a covered wood bridge for the Frederick-Urbana-Georgetown Pike, which was the website of the main fight of July 1864. Some skirmishing took place more northeast of town at the stone-arched "Container Bridge" where the National Road crossed the Monocacy; and an artillery bombardment happened along the National Roadway west of town near Red Male's Hill and Possibility Hall estate as the Union troops pulled away eastward.
While Gettysburg National Battlefield of 1863 lies around 35 miles (56 km) to the north-northeast. The rebuilded house of Barbara Fritchie stands on West Patrick Street, just previous Carroll Creek direct park. Fritchie, a considerable figure in Maryland history in her own right, is buried in Frederick's Mount Olivet Cemetery.
Roosevelt when they stopped here in 1941 on a cars and truck trip to the presidential retreat, then called "Shangra-La" (now "Camp David") within the Catoctin Mountains near Thurmont. Admiral Winfield Scott Schley (18391911) was born at "Richfields", the estate house of his father. He ended up being an important naval commander of the American fleet on board his flagship and heavy cruiser USS Baltimore in addition to Admiral William T.
Major Henry Schley's kid, Dr. Fairfax Schley, was critical in setting up the Frederick County Agricultural Society and the Great Frederick Fair. Gilmer Schley worked as Mayor from 1919 to 1922, and the Schleys stayed among the town's leading households into the late-20th century. Nathaniel Wilson Schley, a prominent banker, and his wife Mary Margaret Schley assisted arrange and raise funds for the yearly Terrific Frederick Fair, one of the two largest farming fairs in the State.