City in Maryland, United StatesFrederick, MarylandCity of FrederickBridge on Carroll CreekMotto( s): "The City of Clustered Spires" Place within the State of MarylandShow map of MarylandFrederick (the United States) Program map of the United StatesCoordinates: Coordinates: United States Founded1745Government MayorMichael O'Connor (D-MD) Board of AldermenKelly Russell (D-MD) Ben MacShane (D-MD) Derek Shackleford (D-MD) Donna Kuzemchak (D-MD) Roger Wilson (D-MD) Location City24.
28 km2) Land23. 95 sq mi (62. 02 km2) Water0. 10 sq mi (0. 26 km2) Elevation302 feet (92 m) Population City65,239 Price quote 72,244 Density3,016. 95/sq mi (1,164. 84/km2) Urban141,576 (US: 230th)UTC5 (EST) Summertime (DST)UTC4 (EDT) 21701-21709301, 24024-30325GNIS feature ID0584497I-70, I-270, United States 15, United States 40, US 340, MD 80, MD 144, MD 355Website Frederick is a city in, and the county seat, of Frederick County, Maryland.
Frederick has actually long been an important crossroads, situated at the crossway of a significant northsouth Indian path and eastwest routes to the Chesapeake Bay, both at Baltimore and what ended up being Washington, D.C. and across the Appalachian mountains to the Ohio River watershed. It belongs of the Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV Metropolitan Statistical Location, which belongs to a higher Washington-Baltimore-Arlington, DC-MD-VA-WV-PA Combined Statistical Area.
Frederick is house to Frederick Municipal Airport (IATA: FDK), which accommodates basic air travel, and to the county's largest company U.S. Army's Fort Detrick bioscience/communications research installation. Found where Catoctin Mountain (the easternmost ridge of the Blue Ridge mountains) satisfies the rolling hills of the Piedmont region, the Frederick location became a crossroads even prior to European explorers and traders arrived.
This ended up being referred to as the Monocacy Path or perhaps the Great Indian Warpath, with some travelers continuing southward through the "Great Appalachian Valley" (Shenandoah Valley, and so on) to the western Piedmont in North Carolina, or traveling down other watersheds in Virginia toward the Chesapeake Bay, such as those of the Rappahannock, James and York Rivers.
Founded before 1730, when the Indian trail ended up being a wagon roadway, Monocacy was abandoned prior to the American Revolutionary War, perhaps due to the river's routine flooding or hostilities preceding the French and Indian War, or merely Frederick's better area with simpler access to the Potomac River near its confluence with the Monocacy.
3 years earlier, All Saints Church had actually been established on a hill near a warehouse/trading post. Sources disagree as to which Frederick the town was named for, but the likeliest prospects are Frederick Calvert, 6th Baron Baltimore (among the owners of Maryland), Frederick Louis, Prince of Wales, and Frederick "The Great" of Prussia.
Frederick Town (now Frederick) was made the county seat of Frederick County. The county originally extended to the Appalachian mountains (locations more west being challenged between the colonies of Virginia and Pennsylvania until 1789). The present town's very first house was built by a young German Reformed schoolmaster from the Rhineland Palatinate named Johann Thomas Schley (passed away 1790), who led a party of immigrants (including his partner, Maria Von Winz) to the Maryland nest.
Schley's settlers also founded a German Reformed Church (today understood as Evangelical Reformed Church, and part of the UCC). Most likely the earliest house still standing in Frederick today is Schifferstadt, integrated in 1756 by German inhabitant Joseph Brunner and now the Schifferstadt Architectural Museum. Schley's group was amongst the numerous Pennsylvania Dutch (ethnic Germans) (along with Scots-Irish and French and later Irish) who migrated south and westward in the late-18th century.
Another essential path continued along the Potomac River from near Frederick, to Hagerstown, where it divided. One branch crossed the Potomac River near Martinsburg, West Virginia and continued down into the Shenandoah valley. The other ongoing west to Cumberland, Maryland and ultimately crossed the Appalachian Mountains into the watershed of the Ohio River.
However, the British after the Proclamation of 1763 limited that westward migration route till after the American Revolutionary War. Other westward migrants continued south from Frederick to Roanoke along the Great Wagon Roadway, crossing the Appalachians into Kentucky and Tennessee at the Cumberland Gap near the Virginia/North Carolina border. Other German inhabitants in Frederick were Evangelical Lutherans, led by Rev.
They moved their objective church from Monocacy to what became a big complex a couple of blocks even more down Church Street from the Anglicans and the German Reformed Church. Methodist missionary Robert Strawbridge accepted an invitation to preach at Frederick town in 1770, and Francis Asbury arrived two years later, both helping to discovered a parish which ended up being Calvary Methodist Church, worshiping in a log structure from 1792 (although superseded by bigger buildings in 1841, 1865, 1910 and 1930).
Jean DuBois was designated in 1792, which became St. John the Evangelist Church (constructed in 1800). To control this crossroads during the American Revolution, the British garrisoned a German Hessian program in the town; the war (the stone, L-shaped "Hessian Barracks" still stand). All Saints Church, put up 1813, Principal Parish Church up until 1855As the county seat for Western Maryland, Frederick not just was a crucial market town, however likewise the seat of justice.
Important lawyers who practiced in Frederick consisted of John Hanson, Francis Scott Key and Roger B. Taney. Church Street with All Saints and Reformed Church spires, FrederickFrederick was likewise understood throughout the 19th century for its spiritual pluralism, with one of its primary thoroughfares, Church Street, hosting about a half dozen major churches.
That initial colonial building was replaced in 1814 by a brick classical revival structure. It still stands today, although the principal praise space has ended up being an even bigger brick gothic church joining it at the back and dealing with Frederick's Municipal government (so the parish remains the oldest Episcopal Church in western Maryland).
John the Evangelist, was integrated in 1800, then rebuilt in 1837 (throughout the street) one block north of Church Street on East Second Street, where it still stands along with a school and convent established by the Visitation Sisters. The stone Evangelical Lutheran Church of 1752 was likewise rebuilt and bigger in 1825, then changed by the present twin-spired structure in 1852.
It ended up being an African-American congregation in 1864, renamed Asbury Methodist Episcopal Church in 1870, and constructed its present structure on All Saints Street in 1921. Together, these churches dominated the town, set against the background of the very first ridge of the Appalachians, Catoctin Mountain. The abolitionist poet John Greenleaf Whittier later immortalized this view of Frederick in his poem to Barbara Fritchie: "The clustered spires of Frederick stand/ Green-walled by the hills of Maryland." When U.S.
Louis (ultimately built to Vandalia, then the state capital of Illinois), the "National Pike" went through Frederick along Patrick Street. (This later on became U.S. Path 40.) Frederick's Jacob Engelbrecht corresponded with Jefferson in 1824 (receiving a transcribed psalm in return), and kept a diary from 1819-1878 which remains an important first-hand account of 19th century life from its viewpoint on the National Roadway.
Church Street by a regional doctor to prevent the city from extending Record Street south through his land to fulfill West Patrick Street. Frederick likewise turned into one of the new nation's leading mining counties in the early 19th century. It exported gold, copper, limestone, marble, iron and other minerals. As early as the American Revolution, Catoctin Furnace near Thurmont became crucial for iron production.
Frederick had easy access to the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal, which began operations in 1831 and continued hauling freight up until 1924. Likewise in 1831, the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad (B&O) finished its Frederick Branch line from the Frederick (or Monocacy) Junction off the main Western Line from Baltimore to Harpers Ferry, Cumberland, and the Ohio River.
Louis by the 1850s. Confederate troops marching south on North Market Street throughout the Civil War Frederick ended up being Maryland's capital city briefly in 1861, as the legislature moved from Annapolis to vote on the secession question. President Lincoln detained several members, and the assembly was unable to assemble a quorum to vote on secession.
Servants likewise gotten away from or through Frederick (because Maryland was still a "slave state" although an unseceded border state) to sign up with the Union forces, work versus the Confederacy and seek freedom. During the Maryland campaigns, both Union and Confederate soldiers marched through the city. Frederick also hosted numerous health centers to nurse the wounded from those battles, as is associated in the National Museum of Civil War Medication on East Patrick Street.
Union Major General Jesse L. Reno's IX Corps followed Jackson's guys through the city a couple of days later the way to the Fight of South Mountain, where Reno died. The websites of the fights are due west of the city along the National Roadway, west of Burkittsville. Confederate troops under Jackson and Walker unsuccessfully attempted to stop the Federal army's westward advance into the Cumberland Valley and towards Sharpsburg.
The 1889 memorial honoring Major General Reno and the Union soldiers of his IX Corps is on Reno Monument Road west of Middletown, just listed below the summit of Fox's Space, as is a 1993 memorial to slain Confederate Brig. Gen. Samuel Garland Jr., and the North Carolina troops who held the line.
George McClellan after the Fight of South Mountain and the Battle of Antietam, provided a brief speech at what was then the B. & O. Railroad depot at the existing intersection of East All Saints and South Market Streets. A plaque commemorates the speech (at what is today the Frederick Community Action Firm, a Social Providers office).
The Army of the Potomac camped around the Prospect Hall residential or commercial property for the numerous days as skirmishers pursued Lee's Confederate Army of Northern Virginia prior to Gettysburg. A big granite rectangle-shaped monolith made from one of the stones at the "Devil's Den" in Gettysburg to the east along the driveway commemorates the midnight change-of-command.
27 million in 2019 dollars) from residents for not taking down the city on their method to Washington D.C. Union soldiers under Major General Lew Wallace fought an effective delaying action, in what became the last significant Confederate advance at the Battle of Monocacy, likewise referred to as the "Battle that saved Washington." The Monocacy National Battleground lies just southeast of the city limitations, along the Monocacy River at the B.
Railroad junction where two bridges cross the stream - an iron-truss bridge for the railroad and a covered wood bridge for the Frederick-Urbana-Georgetown Pike, which was the website of the main battle of July 1864. Some skirmishing took place further northeast of town at the stone-arched "Jug Bridge" where the National Roadway crossed the Monocacy; and an artillery bombardment took place along the National Road west of town near Red Male's Hill and Prospect Hall estate as the Union soldiers pulled back eastward.
While Gettysburg National Battleground of 1863 lies approximately 35 miles (56 km) to the north-northeast. The rebuilded home of Barbara Fritchie stands on West Patrick Street, just previous Carroll Creek linear park. Fritchie, a significant figure in Maryland history in her own right, is buried in Frederick's Mount Olivet Cemetery.
Roosevelt when they stopped here in 1941 on an automobile journey to the presidential retreat, then called "Shangra-La" (now "Camp David") within the Catoctin Mountains near Thurmont. Admiral Winfield Scott Schley (18391911) was born at "Richfields", the mansion house of his father. He became an important marine commander of the American fleet on board his flagship and heavy cruiser USS Baltimore together with Admiral William T.
Major Henry Schley's child, Dr. Fairfax Schley, was crucial in setting up the Frederick County Agricultural Society and the Great Frederick Fair. Gilmer Schley served as Mayor from 1919 to 1922, and the Schleys stayed among the town's leading households into the late-20th century. Nathaniel Wilson Schley, a popular banker, and his spouse Mary Margaret Schley assisted organize and raise funds for the annual Great Frederick Fair, one of the two biggest farming fairs in the State.