City in Maryland, United StatesFrederick, MarylandCity of FrederickBridge on Carroll CreekMotto( s): "The City of Clustered Spires" Place within the State of MarylandShow map of MarylandFrederick (the United States) Show map of the United StatesCoordinates: Coordinates: United States Founded1745Government MayorMichael O'Connor (D-MD) Board of AldermenKelly Russell (D-MD) Ben MacShane (D-MD) Derek Shackleford (D-MD) Donna Kuzemchak (D-MD) Roger Wilson (D-MD) Area City24.
28 km2) Land23. 95 sq mi (62. 02 km2) Water0. 10 sq mi (0. 26 km2) Elevation302 feet (92 m) Population City65,239 Quote 72,244 Density3,016. 95/sq mi (1,164. 84/km2) Urban141,576 (US: 230th)UTC5 (EST) Summertime (DST)UTC4 (EDT) 21701-21709301, 24024-30325GNIS function ID0584497I-70, I-270, United States 15, US 40, United States 340, MD 80, MD 144, MD 355Site Frederick is a city in, and the county seat, of Frederick County, Maryland.
Frederick has long been an essential crossroads, situated at the crossway of a significant northsouth Indian path and eastwest routes to the Chesapeake Bay, both at Baltimore and what ended up being Washington, D.C. and throughout the Appalachian mountains to the Ohio River watershed. It is a part of the Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV Metropolitan Statistical Location, which is part of a higher Washington-Baltimore-Arlington, DC-MD-VA-WV-PA Combined Statistical Location.
Frederick is house to Frederick Municipal Airport (IATA: FDK), which accommodates basic aviation, and to the county's biggest employer U.S. Army's Fort Detrick bioscience/communications research study installation. Found where Catoctin Mountain (the easternmost ridge of the Blue Ridge mountains) satisfies the rolling hills of the Piedmont area, the Frederick area became a crossroads even prior to European explorers and traders got here.
This became known as the Monocacy Trail and even the Great Indian Warpath, with some travelers continuing southward through the "Great Appalachian Valley" (Shenandoah Valley, and so on) to the western Piedmont in North Carolina, or taking a trip down other watersheds in Virginia towards the Chesapeake Bay, such as those of the Rappahannock, James and York Rivers.
Founded before 1730, when the Indian trail became a wagon roadway, Monocacy was abandoned before the American Revolutionary War, perhaps due to the river's routine flooding or hostilities predating the French and Indian War, or merely Frederick's better location with easier access to the Potomac River near its confluence with the Monocacy.
3 years previously, All Saints Church had actually been established on a hilltop near a warehouse/trading post. Sources disagree regarding which Frederick the town was called for, but the likeliest prospects are Frederick Calvert, sixth Baron Baltimore (among the owners of Maryland), Frederick Louis, Prince of Wales, and Frederick "The Great" of Prussia.
Frederick Town (now Frederick) was made the county seat of Frederick County. The county originally reached the Appalachian mountains (locations more west being disputed between the colonies of Virginia and Pennsylvania until 1789). The existing town's first home was built by a young German Reformed schoolmaster from the Rhineland Palatinate named Johann Thomas Schley (died 1790), who led a celebration of immigrants (including his wife, Maria Von Winz) to the Maryland colony.
Schley's inhabitants likewise established a German Reformed Church (today referred to as Evangelical Reformed Church, and part of the UCC). Most likely the oldest house still standing in Frederick today is Schifferstadt, integrated in 1756 by German inhabitant Joseph Brunner and now the Schifferstadt Architectural Museum. Schley's group was amongst the many Pennsylvania Dutch (ethnic Germans) (as well as Scots-Irish and French and later Irish) who moved south and westward in the late-18th century.
Another essential path continued along the Potomac River from near Frederick, to Hagerstown, where it divided. One branch crossed the Potomac River near Martinsburg, West Virginia and continued down into the Shenandoah valley. The other continued west to Cumberland, Maryland and ultimately crossed the Appalachian Mountains into the watershed of the Ohio River.
Nevertheless, the British after the Pronouncement of 1763 restricted that westward migration route up until after the American Revolutionary War. Other westward migrants continued south from Frederick to Roanoke along the Great Wagon Roadway, crossing the Appalachians into Kentucky and Tennessee at the Cumberland Gap near the Virginia/North Carolina border. Other German inhabitants in Frederick were Evangelical Lutherans, led by Rev.
They moved their mission church from Monocacy to what ended up being a large complex a couple of blocks further down Church Street from the Anglicans and the German Reformed Church. Methodist missionary Robert Strawbridge accepted an invite to preach at Frederick town in 1770, and Francis Asbury arrived 2 years later on, both helping to found a congregation which became Calvary Methodist Church, worshiping in a log structure from 1792 (although superseded by larger buildings in 1841, 1865, 1910 and 1930).
Jean DuBois was appointed in 1792, which became St. John the Evangelist Church (developed in 1800). To control this crossroads during the American Revolution, the British garrisoned a German Hessian regiment in the town; the war (the stone, L-shaped "Hessian Barracks" still stand). All Saints Church, set up 1813, Principal Parish Church till 1855As the county seat for Western Maryland, Frederick not only was an essential market town, however likewise the seat of justice.
Important legal representatives who practiced in Frederick included John Hanson, Francis Scott Key and Roger B. Taney. Church Street with All Saints and Reformed Church spires, FrederickFrederick was likewise understood during the 19th century for its religious pluralism, with one of its primary thoroughfares, Church Street, hosting about a half dozen significant churches.
That original colonial building was changed in 1814 by a brick classical revival structure. It still stands today, although the principal worship area has actually become an even larger brick gothic church joining it at the back and facing Frederick's Town hall (so the parish remains the earliest Episcopal Church in western Maryland).
John the Evangelist, was constructed in 1800, then rebuilt in 1837 (across the street) one block north of Church Street on East Second Street, where it still stands together with a school and convent established by the Visitation Sis. The stone Evangelical Lutheran Church of 1752 was likewise rebuilt and bigger in 1825, then replaced by the current twin-spired structure in 1852.
It ended up being an African-American churchgoers in 1864, relabelled Asbury Methodist Episcopal Church in 1870, and built its existing structure on All Saints Street in 1921. Together, these churches dominated the town, set versus the background of the very first ridge of the Appalachians, Catoctin Mountain. The abolitionist poet John Greenleaf Whittier later celebrated this view of Frederick in his poem to Barbara Fritchie: "The clustered spires of Frederick stand/ Green-walled by the hills of Maryland." When U.S.
Louis (ultimately developed to Vandalia, then the state capital of Illinois), the "National Pike" went through Frederick along Patrick Street. (This later on ended up being U.S. Route 40.) Frederick's Jacob Engelbrecht corresponded with Jefferson in 1824 (receiving a transcribed psalm in return), and kept a diary from 1819-1878 which remains an important first-hand account of 19th century life from its viewpoint on the National Roadway.
Church Street by a regional doctor to avoid the city from extending Record Street south through his land to fulfill West Patrick Street. Frederick likewise became one of the new country's leading mining counties in the early 19th century. It exported gold, copper, limestone, marble, iron and other minerals. As early as the American Revolution, Catoctin Heating system near Thurmont became important for iron production.
Frederick had easy access to the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal, which began operations in 1831 and continued transporting freight until 1924. Also in 1831, the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad (B&O) completed its Frederick Branch line from the Frederick (or Monocacy) Junction off the primary Western Line from Baltimore to Harpers Ferryboat, Cumberland, and the Ohio River.
Louis by the 1850s. Confederate soldiers marching south on North Market Street during the Civil War Frederick ended up being Maryland's capital city briefly in 1861, as the legislature moved from Annapolis to vote on the secession question. President Lincoln jailed numerous members, and the assembly was unable to assemble a quorum to vote on secession.
Servants likewise gotten away from or through Frederick (given that Maryland was still a "slave state" although an unseceded border state) to sign up with the Union forces, work against the Confederacy and look for liberty. During the Maryland campaigns, both Union and Confederate soldiers marched through the city. Frederick likewise hosted several healthcare facilities to nurse the wounded from those fights, as is associated in the National Museum of Civil War Medicine on East Patrick Street.
Union Major General Jesse L. Reno's IX Corps followed Jackson's men through the city a few days later the method to the Battle of South Mountain, where Reno passed away. The websites of the battles are due west of the city along the National Roadway, west of Burkittsville. Confederate soldiers under Jackson and Walker unsuccessfully attempted to halt the Federal army's westward advance into the Cumberland Valley and towards Sharpsburg.
The 1889 memorial commemorating Major General Reno and the Union soldiers of his IX Corps is on Reno Monument Road west of Middletown, simply listed below the top of Fox's Gap, as is a 1993 memorial to slain Confederate Brig. Gen. Samuel Garland Jr., and the North Carolina troops who held the line.
George McClellan after the Fight of South Mountain and the Fight of Antietam, delivered a short speech at what was then the B. & O. Railroad depot at the existing crossway of East All Saints and South Market Streets. A plaque honors the speech (at what is today the Frederick Community Action Firm, a Social Solutions workplace).
The Army of the Potomac camped around the Prospect Hall residential or commercial property for the several days as skirmishers pursued Lee's Confederate Army of Northern Virginia prior to Gettysburg. A big granite rectangle-shaped monolith made from among the boulders at the "Devil's Den" in Gettysburg to the east along the driveway honors the midnight change-of-command.
27 million in 2019 dollars) from residents for not razing the city on their method to Washington D.C. Union troops under Major General Lew Wallace battled an effective delaying action, in what became the last substantial Confederate advance at the Fight of Monocacy, likewise referred to as the "Fight that conserved Washington." The Monocacy National Battlefield lies simply southeast of the city limits, along the Monocacy River at the B.
Railway junction where 2 bridges cross the stream - an iron-truss bridge for the railroad and a covered wood bridge for the Frederick-Urbana-Georgetown Pike, which was the website of the main fight of July 1864. Some skirmishing took place further northeast of town at the stone-arched "Container Bridge" where the National Road crossed the Monocacy; and an artillery bombardment occurred along the National Road west of town near Red Male's Hill and Prospect Hall mansion as the Union troops pulled back eastward.
While Gettysburg National Battleground of 1863 lies approximately 35 miles (56 km) to the north-northeast. The reconstructed house of Barbara Fritchie stands on West Patrick Street, just previous Carroll Creek linear park. Fritchie, a significant figure in Maryland history in her own right, is buried in Frederick's Mount Olivet Cemetery.
Roosevelt when they stopped here in 1941 on an automobile trip to the presidential retreat, then called "Shangra-La" (now "Camp David") within the Catoctin Mountains near Thurmont. Admiral Winfield Scott Schley (18391911) was born at "Richfields", the estate home of his father. He became a crucial marine commander of the American fleet on board his flagship and heavy cruiser USS Baltimore along with Admiral William T.
Major Henry Schley's kid, Dr. Fairfax Schley, contributed in establishing the Frederick County Agricultural Society and the Great Frederick Fair. Gilmer Schley served as Mayor from 1919 to 1922, and the Schleys remained one of the town's leading households into the late-20th century. Nathaniel Wilson Schley, a popular banker, and his better half Mary Margaret Schley helped arrange and raise funds for the yearly Terrific Frederick Fair, one of the two biggest agricultural fairs in the State.