City in Maryland, United StatesFrederick, MarylandCity of FrederickBridge on Carroll CreekMotto( s): "The City of Clustered Spires" Area within the State of MarylandShow map of MarylandFrederick (the United States) Show map of the United StatesCoordinates: Collaborates: United States Founded1745Government MayorMichael O'Connor (D-MD) Board of AldermenKelly Russell (D-MD) Ben MacShane (D-MD) Derek Shackleford (D-MD) Donna Kuzemchak (D-MD) Roger Wilson (D-MD) Location City24.
28 km2) Land23. 95 sq mi (62. 02 km2) Water0. 10 sq mi (0. 26 km2) Elevation302 feet (92 m) Population City65,239 Quote 72,244 Density3,016. 95/sq mi (1,164. 84/km2) Urban141,576 (US: 230th)UTC5 (EST) Summer (DST)UTC4 (EDT) 21701-21709301, 24024-30325GNIS feature ID0584497I-70, I-270, US 15, US 40, US 340, MD 80, MD 144, MD 355Website Frederick is a city in, and the county seat, of Frederick County, Maryland.
Frederick has long been an important crossroads, located at the crossway of a major northsouth Indian path and eastwest paths to the Chesapeake Bay, both at Baltimore and what became Washington, D.C. and throughout the Appalachian mountains to the Ohio River watershed. It is a part of the Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV Metropolitan Statistical Location, which belongs to a higher Washington-Baltimore-Arlington, DC-MD-VA-WV-PA Combined Statistical Location.
Frederick is house to Frederick Municipal Airport (IATA: FDK), which accommodates general air travel, and to the county's largest company U.S. Army's Fort Detrick bioscience/communications research setup. Found where Catoctin Mountain (the easternmost ridge of the Blue Ridge mountains) meets the rolling hills of the Piedmont region, the Frederick area ended up being a crossroads even before European explorers and traders got here.
This ended up being known as the Monocacy Path and even the Great Indian Warpath, with some travelers continuing southward through the "Fantastic Appalachian Valley" (Shenandoah Valley, and so on) to the western Piedmont in North Carolina, or taking a trip down other watersheds in Virginia toward the Chesapeake Bay, such as those of the Rappahannock, James and York Rivers.
Established before 1730, when the Indian path became a wagon roadway, Monocacy was deserted before the American Revolutionary War, maybe due to the river's routine flooding or hostilities predating the French and Indian War, or just Frederick's much better place with easier access to the Potomac River near its confluence with the Monocacy.
Three years previously, All Saints Church had been founded on a hilltop near a warehouse/trading post. Sources disagree regarding which Frederick the town was called for, however the likeliest candidates are Frederick Calvert, sixth Baron Baltimore (one of the proprietors of Maryland), Frederick Louis, Prince of Wales, and Frederick "The Great" of Prussia.
Frederick Town (now Frederick) was made the county seat of Frederick County. The county initially extended to the Appalachian mountains (locations additional west being challenged in between the nests of Virginia and Pennsylvania up until 1789). The present town's very first home was built by a young German Reformed schoolmaster from the Rhineland Palatinate called Johann Thomas Schley (died 1790), who led a celebration of immigrants (including his better half, Maria Von Winz) to the Maryland nest.
Schley's settlers also established a German Reformed Church (today known as Evangelical Reformed Church, and part of the UCC). Probably the earliest house still standing in Frederick today is Schifferstadt, developed in 1756 by German inhabitant Joseph Brunner and now the Schifferstadt Architectural Museum. Schley's group was among the numerous Pennsylvania Dutch (ethnic Germans) (in addition to Scots-Irish and French and later Irish) who moved south and westward in the late-18th century.
Another important path continued along the Potomac River from near Frederick, to Hagerstown, where it divided. One branch crossed the Potomac River near Martinsburg, West Virginia and continued down into the Shenandoah valley. The other ongoing west to Cumberland, Maryland and ultimately crossed the Appalachian Mountains into the watershed of the Ohio River.
Nevertheless, the British after the Pronouncement of 1763 limited that westward migration path until after the American Revolutionary War. Other westward migrants continued south from Frederick to Roanoke along the Great Wagon Roadway, crossing the Appalachians into Kentucky and Tennessee at the Cumberland Space near the Virginia/North Carolina border. Other German inhabitants in Frederick were Evangelical Lutherans, led by Rev.
They moved their mission church from Monocacy to what ended up being a big complex a couple of blocks further down Church Street from the Anglicans and the German Reformed Church. Methodist missionary Robert Strawbridge accepted an invitation to preach at Frederick town in 1770, and Francis Asbury got here 2 years later on, both helping to discovered a congregation which ended up being Calvary Methodist Church, worshiping in a log building from 1792 (although superseded by bigger buildings in 1841, 1865, 1910 and 1930).
Jean DuBois was assigned in 1792, which ended up being St. John the Evangelist Church (integrated in 1800). To manage this crossroads throughout the American Transformation, the British garrisoned a German Hessian program in the town; the war (the stone, L-shaped "Hessian Barracks" still stand). All Saints Church, erected 1813, Principal Parish Church until 1855As the county seat for Western Maryland, Frederick not just was an important market town, however also the seat of justice.
Important lawyers who practiced in Frederick consisted of John Hanson, Francis Scott Key and Roger B. Taney. Church Street with All Saints and Reformed Church spires, FrederickFrederick was likewise understood during the nineteenth century for its spiritual pluralism, with one of its primary thoroughfares, Church Street, hosting about a half lots major churches.
That original colonial structure was changed in 1814 by a brick classical revival structure. It still stands today, although the primary praise space has actually become an even bigger brick gothic church joining it at the back and facing Frederick's Town hall (so the parish stays the earliest Episcopal Church in western Maryland).
John the Evangelist, was constructed in 1800, then rebuilt in 1837 (throughout the street) one block north of Church Street on East Second Street, where it still stands in addition to a school and convent established by the Visitation Sisters. The stone Evangelical Lutheran Church of 1752 was also rebuilt and bigger in 1825, then changed by the existing twin-spired structure in 1852.
It ended up being an African-American parish in 1864, relabelled Asbury Methodist Episcopal Church in 1870, and constructed its present building on All Saints Street in 1921. Together, these churches controlled the town, set against the backdrop of the first ridge of the Appalachians, Catoctin Mountain. The abolitionist poet John Greenleaf Whittier later on immortalized this view of Frederick in his poem to Barbara Fritchie: "The clustered spires of Frederick stand/ Green-walled by the hills of Maryland." When U.S.
Louis (eventually developed to Vandalia, then the state capital of Illinois), the "National Pike" went through Frederick along Patrick Street. (This later ended up being U.S. Path 40.) Frederick's Jacob Engelbrecht referred Jefferson in 1824 (receiving a transcribed psalm in return), and kept a diary from 1819-1878 which remains an essential first-hand account of 19th century life from its viewpoint on the National Road.
Church Street by a local doctor to avoid the city from extending Record Street south through his land to meet West Patrick Street. Frederick also turned into one of the brand-new nation's leading mining counties in the early 19th century. It exported gold, copper, limestone, marble, iron and other minerals. As early as the American Transformation, Catoctin Heating system near Thurmont became important for iron production.
Frederick had easy access to the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal, which began operations in 1831 and continued carrying freight till 1924. Also in 1831, the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad (B&O) finished its Frederick Branch line from the Frederick (or Monocacy) Junction off the primary Western Line from Baltimore to Harpers Ferry, Cumberland, and the Ohio River.
Louis by the 1850s. Confederate troops marching south on North Market Street throughout the Civil War Frederick became Maryland's capital city briefly in 1861, as the legislature moved from Annapolis to vote on the secession concern. President Lincoln arrested numerous members, and the assembly was unable to assemble a quorum to vote on secession.
Servants also left from or through Frederick (considering that Maryland was still a "slave state" although an unseceded border state) to join the Union forces, work against the Confederacy and seek liberty. Throughout the Maryland projects, both Union and Confederate troops marched through the city. Frederick likewise hosted numerous health centers to nurse the wounded from those battles, as relates in the National Museum of Civil War Medicine on East Patrick Street.
Union Major General Jesse L. Reno's IX Corps followed Jackson's men through the city a few days later the way to the Fight of South Mountain, where Reno died. The websites of the battles are due west of the city along the National Road, west of Burkittsville. Confederate soldiers under Jackson and Walker unsuccessfully tried to halt the Federal army's westward advance into the Cumberland Valley and towards Sharpsburg.
The 1889 memorial celebrating Major General Reno and the Union soldiers of his IX Corps is on Reno Monolith Road west of Middletown, simply below the top of Fox's Space, as is a 1993 memorial to killed Confederate Brig. Gen. Samuel Garland Jr., and the North Carolina soldiers who held the line.
George McClellan after the Battle of South Mountain and the Fight of Antietam, provided a short speech at what was then the B. & O. Railway depot at the current crossway of East All Saints and South Market Streets. A plaque commemorates the speech (at what is today the Frederick Neighborhood Action Company, a Social Providers workplace).
The Army of the Potomac camped around the Possibility Hall residential or commercial property for the a number of days as skirmishers pursued Lee's Confederate Army of Northern Virginia prior to Gettysburg. A large granite rectangular monument made from one of the boulders at the "Devil's Den" in Gettysburg to the east along the driveway commemorates the midnight change-of-command.
27 million in 2019 dollars) from residents for not razing the city on their method to Washington D.C. Union troops under Major General Lew Wallace battled an effective delaying action, in what ended up being the last considerable Confederate advance at the Battle of Monocacy, likewise called the "Battle that conserved Washington." The Monocacy National Battlefield lies simply southeast of the city limits, along the Monocacy River at the B.
Railroad junction where two bridges cross the stream - an iron-truss bridge for the railway and a covered wood bridge for the Frederick-Urbana-Georgetown Pike, which was the website of the main fight of July 1864. Some skirmishing took place additional northeast of town at the stone-arched "Container Bridge" where the National Road crossed the Monocacy; and an artillery bombardment took place along the National Roadway west of town near Red Man's Hill and Prospect Hall estate as the Union troops pulled away eastward.
While Gettysburg National Battleground of 1863 lies approximately 35 miles (56 km) to the north-northeast. The reconstructed home of Barbara Fritchie stands on West Patrick Street, simply previous Carroll Creek linear park. Fritchie, a substantial figure in Maryland history in her own right, is buried in Frederick's Mount Olivet Cemetery.
Roosevelt when they stopped here in 1941 on a vehicle journey to the governmental retreat, then called "Shangra-La" (now "Camp David") within the Catoctin Mountains near Thurmont. Admiral Winfield Scott Schley (18391911) was born at "Richfields", the estate home of his daddy. He ended up being an essential marine commander of the American fleet on board his flagship and heavy cruiser USS Baltimore in addition to Admiral William T.
Major Henry Schley's kid, Dr. Fairfax Schley, was important in setting up the Frederick County Agricultural Society and the Great Frederick Fair. Gilmer Schley functioned as Mayor from 1919 to 1922, and the Schleys stayed one of the town's leading families into the late-20th century. Nathaniel Wilson Schley, a prominent lender, and his wife Mary Margaret Schley helped arrange and raise funds for the yearly Great Frederick Fair, among the 2 biggest agricultural fairs in the State.