City in Maryland, United StatesFrederick, MarylandCity of FrederickBridge on Carroll CreekMotto( s): "The City of Clustered Spires" Place within the State of MarylandShow map of MarylandFrederick (the United States) Show map of the United StatesCoordinates: Collaborates: United States Founded1745Government MayorMichael O'Connor (D-MD) Board of AldermenKelly Russell (D-MD) Ben MacShane (D-MD) Derek Shackleford (D-MD) Donna Kuzemchak (D-MD) Roger Wilson (D-MD) Area City24.
28 km2) Land23. 95 sq mi (62. 02 km2) Water0. 10 sq mi (0. 26 km2) Elevation302 feet (92 m) Population City65,239 Price quote 72,244 Density3,016. 95/sq mi (1,164. 84/km2) Urban141,576 (United States: 230th)UTC5 (EST) Summertime (DST)UTC4 (EDT) 21701-21709301, 24024-30325GNIS function ID0584497I-70, I-270, United States 15, US 40, United States 340, MD 80, MD 144, MD 355Website Frederick is a city in, and the county seat, of Frederick County, Maryland.
Frederick has long been an important crossroads, located at the crossway of a significant northsouth Indian path and eastwest paths to the Chesapeake Bay, both at Baltimore and what became Washington, D.C. and across the Appalachian mountains to the Ohio River watershed. It is a part of the Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV Metropolitan Statistical Location, which becomes part of a greater Washington-Baltimore-Arlington, DC-MD-VA-WV-PA Combined Statistical Location.
Frederick is home to Frederick Municipal Airport (IATA: FDK), which accommodates basic aviation, and to the county's biggest company U.S. Army's Fort Detrick bioscience/communications research installation. Located where Catoctin Mountain (the easternmost ridge of the Blue Ridge mountains) satisfies the rolling hills of the Piedmont region, the Frederick location became a crossroads even before European explorers and traders arrived.
This ended up being called the Monocacy Trail or even the Great Indian Warpath, with some travelers continuing southward through the "Great Appalachian Valley" (Shenandoah Valley, etc.) to the western Piedmont in North Carolina, or traveling down other watersheds in Virginia toward the Chesapeake Bay, such as those of the Rappahannock, James and York Rivers.
Established before 1730, when the Indian trail became a wagon road, Monocacy was deserted before the American Revolutionary War, possibly due to the river's periodic flooding or hostilities predating the French and Indian War, or just Frederick's better place with much easier access to the Potomac River near its confluence with the Monocacy.
3 years earlier, All Saints Church had been established on a hill near a warehouse/trading post. Sources disagree as to which Frederick the town was named for, but the likeliest candidates are Frederick Calvert, sixth Baron Baltimore (among the proprietors of Maryland), Frederick Louis, Prince of Wales, and Frederick "The Great" of Prussia.
Frederick Town (now Frederick) was made the county seat of Frederick County. The county initially encompassed the Appalachian mountains (areas more west being challenged in between the nests of Virginia and Pennsylvania until 1789). The existing town's first house was built by a young German Reformed schoolmaster from the Rhineland Palatinate called Johann Thomas Schley (died 1790), who led a celebration of immigrants (including his partner, Maria Von Winz) to the Maryland nest.
Schley's inhabitants likewise founded a German Reformed Church (today called Evangelical Reformed Church, and part of the UCC). Most likely the oldest house still standing in Frederick today is Schifferstadt, integrated in 1756 by German inhabitant Joseph Brunner and now the Schifferstadt Architectural Museum. Schley's group was amongst the many Pennsylvania Dutch (ethnic Germans) (as well as Scots-Irish and French and later Irish) who moved south and westward in the late-18th century.
Another essential route continued along the Potomac River from near Frederick, to Hagerstown, where it divided. One branch crossed the Potomac River near Martinsburg, West Virginia and continued down into the Shenandoah valley. The other ongoing west to Cumberland, Maryland and eventually crossed the Appalachian Mountains into the watershed of the Ohio River.
However, the British after the Proclamation of 1763 restricted that westward migration route up until after the American Revolutionary War. Other westward migrants continued south from Frederick to Roanoke along the Great Wagon Roadway, crossing the Appalachians into Kentucky and Tennessee at the Cumberland Space near the Virginia/North Carolina border. Other German inhabitants in Frederick were Evangelical Lutherans, led by Rev.
They moved their mission church from Monocacy to what became a big complex a few blocks even more down Church Street from the Anglicans and the German Reformed Church. Methodist missionary Robert Strawbridge accepted an invitation to preach at Frederick town in 1770, and Francis Asbury arrived two years later, both assisting to found a parish which ended up being Calvary Methodist Church, worshiping in a log building from 1792 (although superseded by larger buildings in 1841, 1865, 1910 and 1930).
Jean DuBois was appointed in 1792, which became St. John the Evangelist Church (constructed in 1800). To control this crossroads during the American Transformation, the British garrisoned a German Hessian program in the town; the war (the stone, L-shaped "Hessian Barracks" still stand). All Saints Church, put up 1813, Principal Parish Church till 1855As the county seat for Western Maryland, Frederick not just was a crucial market town, however also the seat of justice.
Important lawyers who practiced in Frederick consisted of John Hanson, Francis Scott Secret and Roger B. Taney. Church Street with All Saints and Reformed Church spires, FrederickFrederick was likewise understood throughout the 19th century for its spiritual pluralism, with among its primary roads, Church Street, hosting about a half dozen significant churches.
That initial colonial structure was replaced in 1814 by a brick classical revival structure. It still stands today, although the primary praise space has actually ended up being an even larger brick gothic church joining it at the back and facing Frederick's City Hall (so the parish stays the earliest Episcopal Church in western Maryland).
John the Evangelist, was developed in 1800, then rebuilt in 1837 (throughout the street) one block north of Church Street on East Second Street, where it still stands together with a school and convent developed by the Visitation Sisters. The stone Evangelical Lutheran Church of 1752 was also rebuilt and enlarged in 1825, then changed by the existing twin-spired structure in 1852.
It ended up being an African-American congregation in 1864, renamed Asbury Methodist Episcopal Church in 1870, and constructed its current building on All Saints Street in 1921. Together, these churches controlled the town, set versus the backdrop of the very first ridge of the Appalachians, Catoctin Mountain. The abolitionist poet John Greenleaf Whittier later on commemorated this view of Frederick in his poem to Barbara Fritchie: "The clustered spires of Frederick stand/ Green-walled by the hills of Maryland." When U.S.
Louis (eventually constructed to Vandalia, then the state capital of Illinois), the "National Pike" went through Frederick along Patrick Street. (This later ended up being U.S. Route 40.) Frederick's Jacob Engelbrecht referred Jefferson in 1824 (getting a transcribed psalm in return), and kept a journal from 1819-1878 which stays an essential first-hand account of 19th century life from its perspective on the National Road.
Church Street by a local doctor to prevent the city from extending Record Street south through his land to meet West Patrick Street. Frederick also ended up being one of the new nation's leading mining counties in the early 19th century. It exported gold, copper, limestone, marble, iron and other minerals. As early as the American Transformation, Catoctin Furnace near Thurmont became crucial for iron production.
Frederick had easy access to the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal, which started operations in 1831 and continued hauling freight until 1924. Also in 1831, the Baltimore and Ohio Railway (B&O) finished its Frederick Branch line from the Frederick (or Monocacy) Junction off the main Western Line from Baltimore to Harpers Ferry, Cumberland, and the Ohio River.
Louis by the 1850s. Confederate soldiers marching south on North Market Street during the Civil War Frederick ended up being Maryland's capital city briefly in 1861, as the legislature moved from Annapolis to vote on the secession question. President Lincoln jailed a number of members, and the assembly was not able to assemble a quorum to vote on secession.
Servants likewise left from or through Frederick (since Maryland was still a "slave state" although an unseceded border state) to join the Union forces, work versus the Confederacy and look for freedom. During the Maryland projects, both Union and Confederate troops marched through the city. Frederick also hosted several medical facilities to nurse the injured from those battles, as belongs in the National Museum of Civil War Medicine on East Patrick Street.
Union Major General Jesse L. Reno's IX Corps followed Jackson's males through the city a few days later on the way to the Battle of South Mountain, where Reno died. The websites of the battles are due west of the city along the National Road, west of Burkittsville. Confederate troops under Jackson and Walker unsuccessfully attempted to stop the Federal army's westward advance into the Cumberland Valley and towards Sharpsburg.
The 1889 memorial honoring Major General Reno and the Union soldiers of his IX Corps is on Reno Monolith Roadway west of Middletown, simply listed below the top of Fox's Space, as is a 1993 memorial to killed Confederate Brig. Gen. Samuel Garland Jr., and the North Carolina soldiers who held the line.
George McClellan after the Battle of South Mountain and the Battle of Antietam, provided a short speech at what was then the B. & O. Railway depot at the current crossway of East All Saints and South Market Streets. A plaque honors the speech (at what is today the Frederick Neighborhood Action Company, a Social Services office).
The Army of the Potomac camped around the Possibility Hall residential or commercial property for the numerous days as skirmishers pursued Lee's Confederate Army of Northern Virginia prior to Gettysburg. A large granite rectangle-shaped monument made from among the boulders at the "Devil's Den" in Gettysburg to the east along the driveway commemorates the midnight change-of-command.
27 million in 2019 dollars) from people for not taking down the city on their method to Washington D.C. Union troops under Major General Lew Wallace combated a successful delaying action, in what became the last considerable Confederate advance at the Battle of Monocacy, also referred to as the "Fight that conserved Washington." The Monocacy National Battlefield lies simply southeast of the city limits, along the Monocacy River at the B.
Railroad junction where 2 bridges cross the stream - an iron-truss bridge for the railway and a covered wood bridge for the Frederick-Urbana-Georgetown Pike, which was the site of the primary fight of July 1864. Some skirmishing took place additional northeast of town at the stone-arched "Container Bridge" where the National Road crossed the Monocacy; and an artillery bombardment took place along the National Roadway west of town near Red Guy's Hill and Possibility Hall estate as the Union troops pulled back eastward.
While Gettysburg National Battlefield of 1863 lies approximately 35 miles (56 km) to the north-northeast. The rebuilded home of Barbara Fritchie stands on West Patrick Street, just past Carroll Creek linear park. Fritchie, a substantial figure in Maryland history in her own right, is buried in Frederick's Mount Olivet Cemetery.
Roosevelt when they stopped here in 1941 on an automobile journey to the presidential retreat, then called "Shangra-La" (now "Camp David") within the Catoctin Mountains near Thurmont. Admiral Winfield Scott Schley (18391911) was born at "Richfields", the estate house of his dad. He ended up being a crucial marine commander of the American fleet on board his flagship and heavy cruiser USS Baltimore along with Admiral William T.
Major Henry Schley's son, Dr. Fairfax Schley, contributed in setting up the Frederick County Agricultural Society and the Great Frederick Fair. Gilmer Schley functioned as Mayor from 1919 to 1922, and the Schleys remained among the town's leading households into the late-20th century. Nathaniel Wilson Schley, a popular lender, and his better half Mary Margaret Schley assisted organize and raise funds for the yearly Excellent Frederick Fair, among the two largest farming fairs in the State.