City in Maryland, United StatesFrederick, MarylandCity of FrederickBridge on Carroll CreekMotto( s): "The City of Clustered Spires" Area within the State of MarylandShow map of MarylandFrederick (the United States) Program map of the United StatesCoordinates: Collaborates: United States Founded1745Government MayorMichael O'Connor (D-MD) Board of AldermenKelly Russell (D-MD) Ben MacShane (D-MD) Derek Shackleford (D-MD) Donna Kuzemchak (D-MD) Roger Wilson (D-MD) Location City24.
28 km2) Land23. 95 sq mi (62. 02 km2) Water0. 10 sq mi (0. 26 km2) Elevation302 ft (92 m) Population City65,239 Price quote 72,244 Density3,016. 95/sq mi (1,164. 84/km2) Urban141,576 (United States: 230th)UTC5 (EST) Summertime (DST)UTC4 (EDT) 21701-21709301, 24024-30325GNIS feature ID0584497I-70, I-270, US 15, US 40, US 340, MD 80, MD 144, MD 355Website Frederick is a city in, and the county seat, of Frederick County, Maryland.
Frederick has actually long been a crucial crossroads, situated at the crossway of a major northsouth Indian path and eastwest paths to the Chesapeake Bay, both at Baltimore and what ended up being Washington, D.C. and throughout the Appalachian mountains to the Ohio River watershed. It is a part of the Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV Metropolitan Statistical Area, which is part of a greater Washington-Baltimore-Arlington, DC-MD-VA-WV-PA Combined Statistical Location.
Frederick is house to Frederick Municipal Airport (IATA: FDK), which accommodates general air travel, and to the county's biggest company U.S. Army's Fort Detrick bioscience/communications research installation. Found where Catoctin Mountain (the easternmost ridge of the Blue Ridge mountains) fulfills the rolling hills of the Piedmont region, the Frederick area ended up being a crossroads even prior to European explorers and traders showed up.
This became called the Monocacy Trail or perhaps the Great Indian Warpath, with some tourists continuing southward through the "Excellent Appalachian Valley" (Shenandoah Valley, and so on) to the western Piedmont in North Carolina, or taking a trip down other watersheds in Virginia toward the Chesapeake Bay, such as those of the Rappahannock, James and York Rivers.
Founded prior to 1730, when the Indian trail became a wagon roadway, Monocacy was abandoned before the American Revolutionary War, perhaps due to the river's regular flooding or hostilities predating the French and Indian War, or just Frederick's better area with easier access to the Potomac River near its confluence with the Monocacy.
Three years previously, All Saints Church had actually been founded on a hill near a warehouse/trading post. Sources disagree as to which Frederick the town was called for, however the likeliest prospects are Frederick Calvert, sixth Baron Baltimore (one of the proprietors of Maryland), Frederick Louis, Prince of Wales, and Frederick "The Great" of Prussia.
Frederick Town (now Frederick) was made the county seat of Frederick County. The county initially encompassed the Appalachian mountains (areas further west being challenged between the colonies of Virginia and Pennsylvania up until 1789). The present town's first home was developed by a young German Reformed schoolmaster from the Rhineland Palatinate called Johann Thomas Schley (died 1790), who led a celebration of immigrants (including his partner, Maria Von Winz) to the Maryland colony.
Schley's settlers also established a German Reformed Church (today understood as Evangelical Reformed Church, and part of the UCC). Most likely the oldest home still standing in Frederick today is Schifferstadt, integrated in 1756 by German settler Joseph Brunner and now the Schifferstadt Architectural Museum. Schley's group was among the many Pennsylvania Dutch (ethnic Germans) (in addition to Scots-Irish and French and later Irish) who moved south and westward in the late-18th century.
Another essential route continued along the Potomac River from near Frederick, to Hagerstown, where it divided. One branch crossed the Potomac River near Martinsburg, West Virginia and continued down into the Shenandoah valley. The other ongoing west to Cumberland, Maryland and eventually crossed the Appalachian Mountains into the watershed of the Ohio River.
However, the British after the Pronouncement of 1763 limited that westward migration route until after the American Revolutionary War. Other westward migrants continued south from Frederick to Roanoke along the Great Wagon Road, crossing the Appalachians into Kentucky and Tennessee at the Cumberland Gap near the Virginia/North Carolina border. Other German inhabitants in Frederick were Evangelical Lutherans, led by Rev.
They moved their objective church from Monocacy to what ended up being a large complex a few blocks even more down Church Street from the Anglicans and the German Reformed Church. Methodist missionary Robert Strawbridge accepted an invitation to preach at Frederick town in 1770, and Francis Asbury got here 2 years later, both helping to found a churchgoers which became Calvary Methodist Church, worshiping in a log building from 1792 (although superseded by bigger structures in 1841, 1865, 1910 and 1930).
Jean DuBois was appointed in 1792, which ended up being St. John the Evangelist Church (integrated in 1800). To control this crossroads throughout the American Revolution, the British garrisoned a German Hessian routine in the town; the war (the stone, L-shaped "Hessian Barracks" still stand). All Saints Church, put up 1813, Principal Parish Church till 1855As the county seat for Western Maryland, Frederick not just was a crucial market town, however also the seat of justice.
Crucial legal representatives who practiced in Frederick included John Hanson, Francis Scott Key and Roger B. Taney. Church Street with All Saints and Reformed Church spires, FrederickFrederick was also known throughout the nineteenth century for its spiritual pluralism, with among its main thoroughfares, Church Street, hosting about a half lots major churches.
That original colonial structure was changed in 1814 by a brick classical revival structure. It still stands today, although the primary praise area has actually ended up being an even bigger brick gothic church joining it at the back and facing Frederick's Municipal government (so the parish stays the earliest Episcopal Church in western Maryland).
John the Evangelist, was constructed in 1800, then rebuilt in 1837 (throughout the street) one block north of Church Street on East Second Street, where it still stands together with a school and convent established by the Visitation Sisters. The stone Evangelical Lutheran Church of 1752 was also rebuilt and enlarged in 1825, then replaced by the current twin-spired structure in 1852.
It became an African-American churchgoers in 1864, relabelled Asbury Methodist Episcopal Church in 1870, and constructed its present structure on All Saints Street in 1921. Together, these churches dominated the town, set against the background of the very first ridge of the Appalachians, Catoctin Mountain. The abolitionist poet John Greenleaf Whittier later immortalized this view of Frederick in his poem to Barbara Fritchie: "The clustered spires of Frederick stand/ Green-walled by the hills of Maryland." When U.S.
Louis (ultimately developed to Vandalia, then the state capital of Illinois), the "National Pike" ran through Frederick along Patrick Street. (This later became U.S. Path 40.) Frederick's Jacob Engelbrecht referred Jefferson in 1824 (receiving a transcribed psalm in return), and kept a diary from 1819-1878 which remains an important first-hand account of 19th century life from its viewpoint on the National Roadway.
Church Street by a regional medical professional to prevent the city from extending Record Street south through his land to fulfill West Patrick Street. Frederick likewise became one of the brand-new country's leading mining counties in the early 19th century. It exported gold, copper, limestone, marble, iron and other minerals. As early as the American Transformation, Catoctin Furnace near Thurmont ended up being important for iron production.
Frederick had easy access to the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal, which began operations in 1831 and continued hauling freight until 1924. Also in 1831, the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad (B&O) finished its Frederick Branch line from the Frederick (or Monocacy) Junction off the main Western Line from Baltimore to Harpers Ferryboat, Cumberland, and the Ohio River.
Louis by the 1850s. Confederate troops marching south on North Market Street during the Civil War Frederick ended up being Maryland's capital city briefly in 1861, as the legislature moved from Annapolis to vote on the secession concern. President Lincoln arrested numerous members, and the assembly was not able to convene a quorum to vote on secession.
Servants likewise left from or through Frederick (considering that Maryland was still a "servant state" although an unseceded border state) to sign up with the Union forces, work against the Confederacy and seek freedom. During the Maryland projects, both Union and Confederate soldiers marched through the city. Frederick likewise hosted numerous healthcare facilities to nurse the wounded from those battles, as is associated in the National Museum of Civil War Medicine on East Patrick Street.
Union Major General Jesse L. Reno's IX Corps followed Jackson's males through the city a couple of days later the way to the Battle of South Mountain, where Reno died. The websites of the battles are due west of the city along the National Road, west of Burkittsville. Confederate troops under Jackson and Walker unsuccessfully tried to halt the Federal army's westward advance into the Cumberland Valley and towards Sharpsburg.
The 1889 memorial honoring Major General Reno and the Union soldiers of his IX Corps is on Reno Monolith Road west of Middletown, simply listed below the summit of Fox's Gap, as is a 1993 memorial to slain Confederate Brig. Gen. Samuel Garland Jr., and the North Carolina soldiers who held the line.
George McClellan after the Battle of South Mountain and the Fight of Antietam, delivered a short speech at what was then the B. & O. Railway depot at the present crossway of East All Saints and South Market Streets. A plaque honors the speech (at what is today the Frederick Neighborhood Action Company, a Social Solutions workplace).
The Army of the Potomac camped around the Possibility Hall property for the a number of days as skirmishers pursued Lee's Confederate Army of Northern Virginia prior to Gettysburg. A big granite rectangle-shaped monolith made from among the stones at the "Devil's Den" in Gettysburg to the east along the driveway celebrates the midnight change-of-command.
27 million in 2019 dollars) from residents for not taking down the city on their method to Washington D.C. Union soldiers under Major General Lew Wallace combated an effective delaying action, in what became the last considerable Confederate advance at the Battle of Monocacy, also known as the "Battle that saved Washington." The Monocacy National Battlefield lies simply southeast of the city limitations, along the Monocacy River at the B.
Railroad junction where 2 bridges cross the stream - an iron-truss bridge for the railway and a covered wooden bridge for the Frederick-Urbana-Georgetown Pike, which was the site of the main fight of July 1864. Some skirmishing took place further northeast of town at the stone-arched "Jug Bridge" where the National Roadway crossed the Monocacy; and an artillery barrage took place along the National Road west of town near Red Guy's Hill and Possibility Hall mansion as the Union soldiers pulled away eastward.
While Gettysburg National Battlefield of 1863 lies roughly 35 miles (56 km) to the north-northeast. The rebuilded home of Barbara Fritchie stands on West Patrick Street, simply past Carroll Creek linear park. Fritchie, a considerable figure in Maryland history in her own right, is buried in Frederick's Mount Olivet Cemetery.
Roosevelt when they stopped here in 1941 on a cars and truck journey to the governmental retreat, then called "Shangra-La" (now "Camp David") within the Catoctin Mountains near Thurmont. Admiral Winfield Scott Schley (18391911) was born at "Richfields", the mansion home of his father. He became an important naval leader of the American fleet on board his flagship and heavy cruiser USS Baltimore together with Admiral William T.
Major Henry Schley's boy, Dr. Fairfax Schley, was instrumental in setting up the Frederick County Agricultural Society and the Great Frederick Fair. Gilmer Schley acted as Mayor from 1919 to 1922, and the Schleys remained one of the town's leading households into the late-20th century. Nathaniel Wilson Schley, a prominent banker, and his wife Mary Margaret Schley helped organize and raise funds for the annual Great Frederick Fair, one of the 2 largest agricultural fairs in the State.