City in Maryland, United StatesFrederick, MarylandCity of FrederickBridge on Carroll CreekMotto( s): "The City of Clustered Spires" Place within the State of MarylandShow map of MarylandFrederick (the United States) Program map of the United StatesCoordinates: Collaborates: United States Founded1745Government MayorMichael O'Connor (D-MD) Board of AldermenKelly Russell (D-MD) Ben MacShane (D-MD) Derek Shackleford (D-MD) Donna Kuzemchak (D-MD) Roger Wilson (D-MD) Area City24.
28 km2) Land23. 95 sq mi (62. 02 km2) Water0. 10 sq mi (0. 26 km2) Elevation302 ft (92 m) Population City65,239 Quote 72,244 Density3,016. 95/sq mi (1,164. 84/km2) Urban141,576 (US: 230th)UTC5 (EST) Summer (DST)UTC4 (EDT) 21701-21709301, 24024-30325GNIS feature ID0584497I-70, I-270, United States 15, US 40, United States 340, MD 80, MD 144, MD 355Site Frederick is a city in, and the county seat, of Frederick County, Maryland.
Frederick has long been an important crossroads, located at the crossway of a major northsouth Indian trail and eastwest paths to the Chesapeake Bay, both at Baltimore and what ended up being Washington, D.C. and across the Appalachian mountains to the Ohio River watershed. It is a part of the Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV Metropolitan Statistical Area, which is part of a greater Washington-Baltimore-Arlington, DC-MD-VA-WV-PA Combined Statistical Area.
Frederick is house to Frederick Municipal Airport (IATA: FDK), which accommodates general aviation, and to the county's largest company U.S. Army's Fort Detrick bioscience/communications research setup. Found where Catoctin Mountain (the easternmost ridge of the Blue Ridge mountains) meets the rolling hills of the Piedmont region, the Frederick area ended up being a crossroads even prior to European explorers and traders arrived.
This became known as the Monocacy Trail and even the Great Indian Warpath, with some travelers continuing southward through the "Terrific Appalachian Valley" (Shenandoah Valley, etc.) to the western Piedmont in North Carolina, or traveling down other watersheds in Virginia toward the Chesapeake Bay, such as those of the Rappahannock, James and York Rivers.
Established prior to 1730, when the Indian trail ended up being a wagon roadway, Monocacy was deserted prior to the American Revolutionary War, possibly due to the river's periodic flooding or hostilities predating the French and Indian War, or merely Frederick's better location with simpler access to the Potomac River near its confluence with the Monocacy.
3 years earlier, All Saints Church had been established on a hilltop near a warehouse/trading post. Sources disagree as to which Frederick the town was named for, however the likeliest prospects are Frederick Calvert, sixth Baron Baltimore (one of the proprietors of Maryland), Frederick Louis, Prince of Wales, and Frederick "The Great" of Prussia.
Frederick Town (now Frederick) was made the county seat of Frederick County. The county initially extended to the Appalachian mountains (locations additional west being challenged in between the nests of Virginia and Pennsylvania until 1789). The present town's first house was constructed by a young German Reformed schoolmaster from the Rhineland Palatinate named Johann Thomas Schley (passed away 1790), who led a celebration of immigrants (including his spouse, Maria Von Winz) to the Maryland colony.
Schley's settlers likewise founded a German Reformed Church (today referred to as Evangelical Reformed Church, and part of the UCC). Most likely the earliest house still standing in Frederick today is Schifferstadt, built in 1756 by German inhabitant Joseph Brunner and now the Schifferstadt Architectural Museum. Schley's group was amongst the many Pennsylvania Dutch (ethnic Germans) (along with Scots-Irish and French and later Irish) who migrated south and westward in the late-18th century.
Another crucial path continued along the Potomac River from near Frederick, to Hagerstown, where it split. One branch crossed the Potomac River near Martinsburg, West Virginia and continued down into the Shenandoah valley. The other ongoing west to Cumberland, Maryland and eventually crossed the Appalachian Mountains into the watershed of the Ohio River.
Nevertheless, the British after the Pronouncement of 1763 limited that westward migration path until after the American Revolutionary War. Other westward migrants continued south from Frederick to Roanoke along the Great Wagon Road, crossing the Appalachians into Kentucky and Tennessee at the Cumberland Space near the Virginia/North Carolina border. Other German inhabitants in Frederick were Evangelical Lutherans, led by Rev.
They moved their mission church from Monocacy to what ended up being a large complex a few blocks further down Church Street from the Anglicans and the German Reformed Church. Methodist missionary Robert Strawbridge accepted an invitation to preach at Frederick town in 1770, and Francis Asbury got here two years later, both assisting to found a congregation which ended up being Calvary Methodist Church, worshiping in a log structure from 1792 (although superseded by larger structures in 1841, 1865, 1910 and 1930).
Jean DuBois was designated in 1792, which became St. John the Evangelist Church (constructed in 1800). To control this crossroads during the American Transformation, the British garrisoned a German Hessian program in the town; the war (the stone, L-shaped "Hessian Barracks" still stand). All Saints Church, erected 1813, Principal Parish Church up until 1855As the county seat for Western Maryland, Frederick not only was an essential market town, however likewise the seat of justice.
Important attorneys who practiced in Frederick included John Hanson, Francis Scott Secret and Roger B. Taney. Church Street with All Saints and Reformed Church spires, FrederickFrederick was likewise known throughout the 19th century for its spiritual pluralism, with among its main roads, Church Street, hosting about a half lots significant churches.
That original colonial structure was replaced in 1814 by a brick classical revival structure. It still stands today, although the principal worship area has actually become an even larger brick gothic church joining it at the back and dealing with Frederick's City Hall (so the parish remains the earliest Episcopal Church in western Maryland).
John the Evangelist, was developed in 1800, then rebuilt in 1837 (throughout the street) one block north of Church Street on East Second Street, where it still stands together with a school and convent developed by the Visitation Sis. The stone Evangelical Lutheran Church of 1752 was also rebuilt and bigger in 1825, then changed by the current twin-spired structure in 1852.
It ended up being an African-American parish in 1864, renamed Asbury Methodist Episcopal Church in 1870, and built its present building on All Saints Street in 1921. Together, these churches dominated the town, set versus the backdrop of the very first ridge of the Appalachians, Catoctin Mountain. The abolitionist poet John Greenleaf Whittier later on immortalized this view of Frederick in his poem to Barbara Fritchie: "The clustered spires of Frederick stand/ Green-walled by the hills of Maryland." When U.S.
Louis (ultimately built to Vandalia, then the state capital of Illinois), the "National Pike" ran through Frederick along Patrick Street. (This later became U.S. Path 40.) Frederick's Jacob Engelbrecht referred Jefferson in 1824 (getting a transcribed psalm in return), and kept a journal from 1819-1878 which remains an essential first-hand account of 19th century life from its perspective on the National Road.
Church Street by a regional medical professional to avoid the city from extending Record Street south through his land to satisfy West Patrick Street. Frederick also became one of the new country's leading mining counties in the early 19th century. It exported gold, copper, limestone, marble, iron and other minerals. As early as the American Revolution, Catoctin Furnace near Thurmont ended up being crucial for iron production.
Frederick had simple access to the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal, which started operations in 1831 and continued hauling freight up until 1924. Likewise in 1831, the Baltimore and Ohio Railway (B&O) finished its Frederick Branch line from the Frederick (or Monocacy) Junction off the primary Western Line from Baltimore to Harpers Ferry, Cumberland, and the Ohio River.
Louis by the 1850s. Confederate troops marching south on North Market Street during the Civil War Frederick ended up being Maryland's capital city briefly in 1861, as the legislature moved from Annapolis to vote on the secession concern. President Lincoln detained several members, and the assembly was not able to convene a quorum to vote on secession.
Slaves likewise escaped from or through Frederick (since Maryland was still a "slave state" although an unseceded border state) to join the Union forces, work against the Confederacy and look for liberty. During the Maryland projects, both Union and Confederate troops marched through the city. Frederick likewise hosted a number of healthcare facilities to nurse the wounded from those fights, as is associated in the National Museum of Civil War Medication on East Patrick Street.
Union Major General Jesse L. Reno's IX Corps followed Jackson's men through the city a couple of days later on the method to the Fight of South Mountain, where Reno passed away. The sites of the fights are due west of the city along the National Roadway, west of Burkittsville. Confederate troops under Jackson and Walker unsuccessfully tried to stop the Federal army's westward advance into the Cumberland Valley and towards Sharpsburg.
The 1889 memorial celebrating Major General Reno and the Union soldiers of his IX Corps is on Reno Monolith Road west of Middletown, simply listed below the top of Fox's Space, as is a 1993 memorial to slain Confederate Brig. Gen. Samuel Garland Jr., and the North Carolina soldiers who held the line.
George McClellan after the Fight of South Mountain and the Battle of Antietam, provided a short speech at what was then the B. & O. Railroad depot at the current intersection of East All Saints and South Market Streets. A plaque celebrates the speech (at what is today the Frederick Community Action Agency, a Social Providers workplace).
The Army of the Potomac camped around the Prospect Hall home for the a number of days as skirmishers pursued Lee's Confederate Army of Northern Virginia prior to Gettysburg. A large granite rectangular monument made from among the boulders at the "Devil's Den" in Gettysburg to the east along the driveway celebrates the midnight change-of-command.
27 million in 2019 dollars) from people for not taking down the city on their way to Washington D.C. Union troops under Major General Lew Wallace fought an effective delaying action, in what ended up being the last substantial Confederate advance at the Battle of Monocacy, also referred to as the "Battle that conserved Washington." The Monocacy National Battleground lies just southeast of the city limits, along the Monocacy River at the B.
Railroad junction where two bridges cross the stream - an iron-truss bridge for the railroad and a covered wooden bridge for the Frederick-Urbana-Georgetown Pike, which was the website of the primary fight of July 1864. Some skirmishing occurred more northeast of town at the stone-arched "Jug Bridge" where the National Road crossed the Monocacy; and an artillery barrage took place along the National Road west of town near Red Man's Hill and Possibility Hall estate as the Union troops pulled away eastward.
While Gettysburg National Battleground of 1863 lies around 35 miles (56 km) to the north-northeast. The reconstructed house of Barbara Fritchie stands on West Patrick Street, simply previous Carroll Creek linear park. Fritchie, a considerable figure in Maryland history in her own right, is buried in Frederick's Mount Olivet Cemetery.
Roosevelt when they stopped here in 1941 on a vehicle trip to the governmental retreat, then called "Shangra-La" (now "Camp David") within the Catoctin Mountains near Thurmont. Admiral Winfield Scott Schley (18391911) was born at "Richfields", the estate house of his daddy. He became an important marine commander of the American fleet on board his flagship and heavy cruiser USS Baltimore along with Admiral William T.
Major Henry Schley's boy, Dr. Fairfax Schley, contributed in establishing the Frederick County Agricultural Society and the Great Frederick Fair. Gilmer Schley worked as Mayor from 1919 to 1922, and the Schleys remained one of the town's leading households into the late-20th century. Nathaniel Wilson Schley, a popular lender, and his partner Mary Margaret Schley assisted organize and raise funds for the yearly Great Frederick Fair, one of the two biggest farming fairs in the State.