City in Maryland, United StatesFrederick, MarylandCity of FrederickBridge on Carroll CreekMotto( s): "The City of Clustered Spires" Area within the State of MarylandShow map of MarylandFrederick (the United States) Program map of the United StatesCoordinates: Coordinates: United States Founded1745Government MayorMichael O'Connor (D-MD) Board of AldermenKelly Russell (D-MD) Ben MacShane (D-MD) Derek Shackleford (D-MD) Donna Kuzemchak (D-MD) Roger Wilson (D-MD) Area City24.
28 km2) Land23. 95 sq mi (62. 02 km2) Water0. 10 sq mi (0. 26 km2) Elevation302 feet (92 m) Population City65,239 Quote 72,244 Density3,016. 95/sq mi (1,164. 84/km2) Urban141,576 (US: 230th)UTC5 (EST) Summer (DST)UTC4 (EDT) 21701-21709301, 24024-30325GNIS feature ID0584497I-70, I-270, United States 15, US 40, US 340, MD 80, MD 144, MD 355Site Frederick is a city in, and the county seat, of Frederick County, Maryland.
Frederick has actually long been a crucial crossroads, situated at the crossway of a major northsouth Indian path and eastwest routes to the Chesapeake Bay, both at Baltimore and what became Washington, D.C. and across the Appalachian mountains to the Ohio River watershed. It is a part of the Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV Metropolitan Statistical Area, which is part of a greater Washington-Baltimore-Arlington, DC-MD-VA-WV-PA Combined Statistical Location.
Frederick is house to Frederick Municipal Airport (IATA: FDK), which accommodates basic aviation, and to the county's largest employer U.S. Army's Fort Detrick bioscience/communications research installation. Located where Catoctin Mountain (the easternmost ridge of the Blue Ridge mountains) satisfies the rolling hills of the Piedmont area, the Frederick location became a crossroads even before European explorers and traders showed up.
This became referred to as the Monocacy Trail or perhaps the Great Indian Warpath, with some travelers continuing southward through the "Great Appalachian Valley" (Shenandoah Valley, etc.) to the western Piedmont in North Carolina, or taking a trip down other watersheds in Virginia toward the Chesapeake Bay, such as those of the Rappahannock, James and York Rivers.
Established before 1730, when the Indian path became a wagon road, Monocacy was deserted prior to the American Revolutionary War, maybe due to the river's periodic flooding or hostilities preceding the French and Indian War, or merely Frederick's better location with simpler access to the Potomac River near its confluence with the Monocacy.
3 years previously, All Saints Church had actually been founded on a hill near a warehouse/trading post. Sources disagree as to which Frederick the town was named for, but the likeliest prospects are Frederick Calvert, 6th Baron Baltimore (among the proprietors of Maryland), Frederick Louis, Prince of Wales, and Frederick "The Great" of Prussia.
Frederick Town (now Frederick) was made the county seat of Frederick County. The county initially encompassed the Appalachian mountains (areas additional west being challenged in between the colonies of Virginia and Pennsylvania up until 1789). The present town's very first home was constructed by a young German Reformed schoolmaster from the Rhineland Palatinate named Johann Thomas Schley (passed away 1790), who led a celebration of immigrants (including his better half, Maria Von Winz) to the Maryland colony.
Schley's settlers likewise established a German Reformed Church (today called Evangelical Reformed Church, and part of the UCC). Most likely the earliest home still standing in Frederick today is Schifferstadt, built in 1756 by German settler Joseph Brunner and now the Schifferstadt Architectural Museum. Schley's group was among the numerous Pennsylvania Dutch (ethnic Germans) (along with Scots-Irish and French and later Irish) who moved south and westward in the late-18th century.
Another crucial route continued along the Potomac River from near Frederick, to Hagerstown, where it divided. One branch crossed the Potomac River near Martinsburg, West Virginia and continued down into the Shenandoah valley. The other ongoing west to Cumberland, Maryland and ultimately crossed the Appalachian Mountains into the watershed of the Ohio River.
Nevertheless, the British after the Pronouncement of 1763 limited that westward migration route till after the American Revolutionary War. Other westward migrants continued south from Frederick to Roanoke along the Great Wagon Road, crossing the Appalachians into Kentucky and Tennessee at the Cumberland Space near the Virginia/North Carolina border. Other German settlers in Frederick were Evangelical Lutherans, led by Rev.
They moved their mission church from Monocacy to what ended up being a big complex a few blocks even more down Church Street from the Anglicans and the German Reformed Church. Methodist missionary Robert Strawbridge accepted an invite to preach at Frederick town in 1770, and Francis Asbury showed up 2 years later, both helping to found a congregation which became Calvary Methodist Church, worshiping in a log building from 1792 (although superseded by bigger buildings in 1841, 1865, 1910 and 1930).
Jean DuBois was designated in 1792, which became St. John the Evangelist Church (integrated in 1800). To manage this crossroads during the American Transformation, the British garrisoned a German Hessian routine in the town; the war (the stone, L-shaped "Hessian Barracks" still stand). All Saints Church, set up 1813, Principal Parish Church until 1855As the county seat for Western Maryland, Frederick not just was an essential market town, but also the seat of justice.
Essential legal representatives who practiced in Frederick consisted of John Hanson, Francis Scott Secret and Roger B. Taney. Church Street with All Saints and Reformed Church spires, FrederickFrederick was likewise known throughout the 19th century for its religious pluralism, with one of its main thoroughfares, Church Street, hosting about a half dozen significant churches.
That initial colonial building was changed in 1814 by a brick classical revival structure. It still stands today, although the principal praise space has ended up being an even bigger brick gothic church joining it at the back and dealing with Frederick's Town hall (so the parish stays the earliest Episcopal Church in western Maryland).
John the Evangelist, was constructed in 1800, then rebuilt in 1837 (across the street) one block north of Church Street on East Second Street, where it still stands along with a school and convent established by the Visitation Sis. The stone Evangelical Lutheran Church of 1752 was likewise rebuilt and enlarged in 1825, then replaced by the existing twin-spired structure in 1852.
It became an African-American congregation in 1864, renamed Asbury Methodist Episcopal Church in 1870, and developed its current structure on All Saints Street in 1921. Together, these churches controlled the town, set against the background of the very first ridge of the Appalachians, Catoctin Mountain. The abolitionist poet John Greenleaf Whittier later on celebrated this view of Frederick in his poem to Barbara Fritchie: "The clustered spires of Frederick stand/ Green-walled by the hills of Maryland." When U.S.
Louis (eventually constructed to Vandalia, then the state capital of Illinois), the "National Pike" went through Frederick along Patrick Street. (This later on ended up being U.S. Route 40.) Frederick's Jacob Engelbrecht referred Jefferson in 1824 (getting a transcribed psalm in return), and kept a diary from 1819-1878 which remains an essential first-hand account of 19th century life from its perspective on the National Roadway.
Church Street by a local physician to avoid the city from extending Record Street south through his land to fulfill West Patrick Street. Frederick also turned into one of the new nation's leading mining counties in the early 19th century. It exported gold, copper, limestone, marble, iron and other minerals. As early as the American Revolution, Catoctin Heater near Thurmont became essential for iron production.
Frederick had easy access to the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal, which began operations in 1831 and continued hauling freight up until 1924. Likewise in 1831, the Baltimore and Ohio Railway (B&O) finished its Frederick Branch line from the Frederick (or Monocacy) Junction off the main Western Line from Baltimore to Harpers Ferryboat, Cumberland, and the Ohio River.
Louis by the 1850s. Confederate soldiers marching south on North Market Street during the Civil War Frederick became Maryland's capital city briefly in 1861, as the legislature moved from Annapolis to vote on the secession question. President Lincoln apprehended numerous members, and the assembly was not able to assemble a quorum to vote on secession.
Slaves likewise left from or through Frederick (considering that Maryland was still a "slave state" although an unseceded border state) to sign up with the Union forces, work versus the Confederacy and look for flexibility. Throughout the Maryland projects, both Union and Confederate troops marched through the city. Frederick likewise hosted several healthcare facilities to nurse the wounded from those fights, as is related in the National Museum of Civil War Medicine on East Patrick Street.
Union Major General Jesse L. Reno's IX Corps followed Jackson's guys through the city a couple of days later the way to the Fight of South Mountain, where Reno died. The sites of the fights are due west of the city along the National Roadway, west of Burkittsville. Confederate soldiers under Jackson and Walker unsuccessfully attempted to halt the Federal army's westward advance into the Cumberland Valley and towards Sharpsburg.
The 1889 memorial honoring Major General Reno and the Union soldiers of his IX Corps is on Reno Monolith Road west of Middletown, simply below the summit of Fox's Space, as is a 1993 memorial to killed Confederate Brig. Gen. Samuel Garland Jr., and the North Carolina soldiers who held the line.
George McClellan after the Battle of South Mountain and the Battle of Antietam, provided a brief speech at what was then the B. & O. Railroad depot at the current intersection of East All Saints and South Market Streets. A plaque commemorates the speech (at what is today the Frederick Neighborhood Action Firm, a Social Services office).
The Army of the Potomac camped around the Prospect Hall home for the numerous days as skirmishers pursued Lee's Confederate Army of Northern Virginia prior to Gettysburg. A big granite rectangle-shaped monolith made from one of the stones at the "Devil's Den" in Gettysburg to the east along the driveway honors the midnight change-of-command.
27 million in 2019 dollars) from citizens for not razing the city on their way to Washington D.C. Union troops under Major General Lew Wallace battled an effective delaying action, in what became the last considerable Confederate advance at the Fight of Monocacy, likewise referred to as the "Battle that saved Washington." The Monocacy National Battleground lies just southeast of the city limits, along the Monocacy River at the B.
Railroad junction where two bridges cross the stream - an iron-truss bridge for the railroad and a covered wooden bridge for the Frederick-Urbana-Georgetown Pike, which was the website of the main battle of July 1864. Some skirmishing happened additional northeast of town at the stone-arched "Jug Bridge" where the National Roadway crossed the Monocacy; and an artillery bombardment took place along the National Road west of town near Red Man's Hill and Prospect Hall estate as the Union troops pulled away eastward.
While Gettysburg National Battleground of 1863 lies approximately 35 miles (56 km) to the north-northeast. The reconstructed home of Barbara Fritchie stands on West Patrick Street, simply past Carroll Creek linear park. Fritchie, a significant figure in Maryland history in her own right, is buried in Frederick's Mount Olivet Cemetery.
Roosevelt when they stopped here in 1941 on an automobile trip to the presidential retreat, then called "Shangra-La" (now "Camp David") within the Catoctin Mountains near Thurmont. Admiral Winfield Scott Schley (18391911) was born at "Richfields", the estate house of his daddy. He ended up being an essential marine leader of the American fleet on board his flagship and heavy cruiser USS Baltimore in addition to Admiral William T.
Major Henry Schley's son, Dr. Fairfax Schley, was crucial in setting up the Frederick County Agricultural Society and the Great Frederick Fair. Gilmer Schley served as Mayor from 1919 to 1922, and the Schleys remained one of the town's leading households into the late-20th century. Nathaniel Wilson Schley, a popular lender, and his other half Mary Margaret Schley helped organize and raise funds for the annual Terrific Frederick Fair, among the 2 biggest agricultural fairs in the State.